Cʜᴀᴍʙᴇʀ Oғ Sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs- Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

☞︎︎︎𝑃𝑖𝑥𝑖𝑒𝑠☜︎︎︎

Careless voices echoed around the dusty classroom, the volume compensating for the cramped area. The wooden stool that Hestia was seated on was old and chipped, small splinters tearing through her tights and digging into her flesh with every faint movement. She winced at the stinging pain on the back of her thighs as she readjusted her legs on the stool.

Of course she would pick the seat in the worst condition.

Instead of complaining, Hestia smiled convincingly at the bushy haired girl sat next to her, oblivious to Hestia's pain as she gushed excitedly over their new teacher.

"I've read his books about 5 times in the last week. Oh, he's so brilliant isn't he?" Hermione grinned at Hestia, eyebrows raised as she waited for her to agree. In all honesty, she hadn't even heard of the man before and had only bought the books as they were part of the curriculum. However, she didn't dare voice that in fear of disappointing her friend.

"Oh. Um, I suppose." The girl shrugged in response, glancing towards the boys sat behind her. She took note of their confused faces, as they only half-listened to the girls' conversation.

Just as Hermione opened her mouth to continue her rant, heavy feet walked across the platform above them, successfully capturing everyone's attention. The man stood silently for a few seconds in an attempt to create suspense.

"Let me introduce you to your new defense against the dark arts teacher." Professor Lockhart dramatically raised his chin, as if he were some sort of superhero. Hestia frowned.

The girl turned to her friend beside her, who watched with twinkling eyes. Her frown deepened.

"Gilderoy Lockhart," the man started as he began his trek down the stone staircase "order of merlin, third class, honourary member of the dark arts defense league and five times winner of witch weekly's most charming smile award."

He flashed a grin towards the class and Hermione seemed as though she were about to faint. Hestia almost gagged.

The brunette looked around the classroom to observe the female's heart-eye expression and fluttering lashes. It reminded her of the women at the bookstore who fought for a spot in the front row. Hestia didn't understand it. Granted, the girl hadn't had much experience with people other than Remus growing up and therefore was probably missing some vital information. She glanced back to Harry and Ron who, much to her relief, shared her grimace.

"But that's not important. I didn't get rid of the bandon banshee by smiling at him." The man laughed as if what he said was actually funny.

Hestia turned to the two boys with an amused smirk. Not because of her teachers poor excuse of a joke, but how pathetic he was. Harry and Ron smirked back.

"Now be warned, it is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind." Lockhart jabbed his long wand at a cloth-covered cage, displayed mysteriously on a simple oak table. Hestia's interest suddenly peaked and she swiftly turned her body back to face the front of the classroom. Another rip appeared in her tights.

"You may find yourself facing your worst fears in this room." The teacher stated ominously. The cage that rested beside his instantly shook, as if to accentuate the words he spoke. "Just know that no harm may befall upon you whilst I am here."

"I must ask you not to scream."

The man's thin, boney fingers reached out to grip the maroon cloth, the fabric twisting between his knuckles.

"It might provoke them."

Suddenly, the cloth was ripped away from the cage, revealing the small creatures inside. It was comical, how Hestia's heart rapidly beat in her chest from the anticipation only to find that they were-

"Cornish pixies? Really?" Seamus announced, eyebrows raised in amusement. A few of the boys snickered at his remark, including Draco.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies." The professor corrected.

Seamus chuckled lightly at the situation, a smirk evident on his face. Hestia felt that she would have laughed herself if the undersides of her thighs weren't red and irritated.

"Laugh if you will, Mr Finnigan, but pixies can be divilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them." At that, the cage door was unlocked and the small blue creatures were released into the room.

Laughter immediately turned into terrified squeals as the children leaped out of their seats and away from the agitated pests. The man wasn't lying when he said that they were mischievous. In the blink of an eye, Hestia lay on the floor surrounded by ripped books and broken quills, one of which was hers. She made a mental note to borrow Hermione's later.

"Come on now, round them up. They're only pixies!"

Hestia looked around that the chaos that had ensued in the matter of seconds. For 'just pixies', they were such menaces. To her right, a group of them had clutched onto poor Neville, who seemed to have the worst luck ever. Tiny hands clasped onto his hair and ears, gradually raising him from the ground.

To her left Draco aggressively shook his leg, which was covered in them. She watched as one bared it's small, but sharp, teeth and dug them into his leg.

Hestia would never forget the scream that came from the boys mouth, at a pitch that only dogs could hear.

"I'll ask you four to just nip the rest of them back into their cage." Lockhart gave one last 'dashing' smile before scurrying back into the safety of his office. The four children glanced around at the vacated room, most of the students escaping the minute that everything went downhill.

Hestia had never felt so betrayed.

_

Author's note.

Let's be honest, my writing schedule is nowhere near back to normal and I can't promise regular updates. For now, I'm going to try once every 2 weeks so that chapters aren't rushed and nonsensical.

But I love you all and appreciate the readers who have been here from the start. 

All my love <3