Chamber Of Secrets- Chapter 11

After a ghastly night spent in detention with the caretaker Filch, an exhausted Ron and Hestia lounged on the sofa's in the Gryffindor common room as Hermione did some last minute revision by the fire. The three were waiting for Harry to return from his own detention with Lockhart, desperate to hear about what happened. 

"Poor Harry, he's probably having his ear talked off by that nutter right about now." Ron announced, staring up at the ceiling. 

Hermione looked up, frowning in thought. "It is rather odd that he's still not shown up, isn't it?"

"I'm not surprised." Hestia giggled, shoulders shaking. "Oh Harry, would you look at the time? I'm terribly sorry, I got distracted by my own reflection for the past two hours. Did you know my eyes are the most enchanting in the world?" The girl mocked, fluttering her eyelashes sarcastically. Ron snorted.

"Do you think we should go look for him?" Hermione asked, chewing her lip in worry. 

Ron shot up with an incredulous expression. "Loony Lockhart?!" The curly haired girl rolled her eyes. 

"No, Harry!" 

"It is getting rather late. We should go." Hestia decided, pulling a groaning Ron up from his place on the sofa. The three of them quietly left the common room, as not to alert any of their house members of their late night escapades. After a few minutes of wandering the deserted corridors, the group came face to face with the boy they were searching for.

"Harry!" The two girls exclaimed, relieved to know he's alright. Though before they could say anything else, he cut them off with a slightly panicked expression. "Did you hear it?"

"Hear what?" Hestia asked, putting a reassuring hand on his arm. However the brunet didn't seem to notice, looking around frantically for whatever startled him. 

"That voice."

"Voice? What voice?" Hermione and Hestia side eyed one another, both with similar feelings of confusion and worry. The latter wanted to make a joke about Gilderoy sending him barmy, but after the events of last year she couldn't help but feel a pit of unease grow in her stomach. 

Harry finally turned back to face them, "I first heard it back in Lockhart's office, and then again just-" He paused, eyebrows creasing. "It's moving. I think it's going to kill." 

"Kill?" Suddenly, Harry started running down the corridor with the other three trailing him as best as they could. "Harry, wait! Not so fast!" Everything became blurry as they ran, the stone all blending together with no distinguishing features, though Hestia noticed the floor become gradually wetter as they moved forwards. Small splashes accompanied every step as they slowed to a stop beside Harry, who stopped Hestia and Ron with an arm in front of them. The girl grabbed onto it as she collided and made sure not to let go, lest he try run off again. 

She followed Harry's eyes to where they stared at the floor, watched a line of spiders move through the corridor and up through a small hole in one of the windows. "Strange...I've never seen spiders act like that." 

"I don't like spiders." The redhead piped up, looking and sounding thoroughly disturbed at the sight. Grimacing at him, the girl noticed something in the corner of her eye reflecting in the water. 

"What's that?" She asked, turning the groups attention to the red in the water and trailing their eyes up the wall to the aforementioned red. 

"'The Chambers of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the Heir, beware.' It's written in blood." Hermione read aloud, making the pit in Hestia's stomach feel more like a black hole, swallowing her up from the inside. The scene reminded her of a muggle film Moony had been watching a while ago. It was late at night, when she was meant to be asleep but had crept down to snag some chocolate, when she caught sight of the movie playing in the living room. It had only been a few minutes, but she remembered the creepy voice repeating 'redrum' as he wrote the words in red on the door and how she had quickly ran back to her bed afterwards, hoping he wouldn't appear in her room with a knife like in the film. It was a memory that had been buried among all the light and happiness in her life that gave her no reason to be afraid, until now.