1991 part 6

Kirst decides we need to go home and change before practice. As we're walking back towards the street it suddenly doesn't feel like such a good idea. I've got this aversion to being one of 'those girls'. The kind of girl who hangs around brand practice rooms waiting for some guy to finish playing, like they've got absolutely nothing better to do with their time. Just the thought of dressing up and doing my hair to stand in a corner, maybe drink some warm beer and look desperate is making me cringe. It seems like I've finally found something to dampen my ardour.

I stop mid stride on the sidewalk.

"Listen K, I'm not so sure this is a good idea, it feels really awkward.'

Kirst looks at me with such disappointment but I ignore her and carry on anyway.

"It's ok for you, you've got this whole thing with Scrunch and it's mutual and he's expecting you. If I show up I just look a bit sad and pathetic, you know?'

"No, I don't know. Don't be ridiculous, you're thinking about this way too much. This is what people do Sam! It's called meeting people!" Kirst grabs me by the shoulders and shakes me lightly. "Come on, it will be fun. Besides, you don't want me to go on my own do you?" Kirst looks at me with her giant cat eyes, even I'm not immune to her gorgeousness! 

"I'll walk you over, how's that? But then I'm going. I'm not hanging around some dingy basement for hours no matter who it is. I've got to show some self respect K!"

Kirst seems happy enough and links her arm in mine. She steers me in the vague direction of the road.

"Fine, fine. But you have to say hello ok? Even you can manage that and it won't seem sad, it will seem polite. You can say thanks for last night, hows that?"

She's got a point. I should say thanks. Even though every fibre of my being is aching to track down Eddie and follow him around like a lost puppy, at his beck and call, I'm not going to. I'm going to say thanks and then make my excuses and leave, dignity intact.

-----------------------------------------------

We end up catching a cab to my place, it's closer to band practice. As soon as we head inside K has her head in my closet and is pulling out every item of clothing that I own. 

"I'm not changing, what's the point? I'll only be five minutes and it's band practice in a basement Kirst, not the Grammys.'

"Ugh! I wouldn't be caught dead at the Grammy's, how dare you suggest it. And I'm not looking for you, I'm looking for me." Suddenly K's face lights up. "Now this is more like it!"

She pulls out a full length, long sleeved, skin tight mesh dress, with leopard print dots. It's something I wore when I went through a minor rave phase a year or so earlier.

"You're not serious K?"

"Why not? It's Hallowe'en."

"It is?" For some reason, I look out the window to check, like thats going to help."No it's not!"

"Well, it will be."

"When? In eleven months?" It's November.

"Oh come on Sam, humour me. I don't need an excuse to wear it really." K is looking at me desperately. 

"Fine, wear it you weirdo, but you'll need a very large coat over the top."

In the end Kirst manages to wear it without looking like she's wandered in after a night working on a local street corner. She wears my wrap around black skirt over the top and actually looks really cool. She twists her hair into spikey knots and disappears to go to the bathroom. Five minutes later she's back.