1991 Part 38

Outside the bathroom the venue is virtually empty. A few small groups hang around, huddled in corners drinking, a few regulars are still propping up the bar. No one seems to notice Eddie Vedder walk out of the ladies bathroom, with me following behind.

Eddie's fingers link securely with mine as he leads me across the floor towards the backstage door. A guy standing at the entrance nods his head as we approach and pushes the door open wide to let us through. Every couple of seconds Eddie twists his head to look back at me, as though he's checking I'm still there. He smiles, his biggest megawatt grin that shows almost all his teeth and his dimple. His perfect cheeks are flushed pink and he's squeezing my hand like he doesn't plan on ever letting go.

"There she is!" Chris announces as we enter a large room filled with people, sitting around drinking and laughing. He smiles at me and winks. "Told ya," he mouths.

"Sammy!" Jeff bounds over and gives me a hug. Even then Eddie doesn't let go of my hand. God I've missed Jeff's bear hugs.

"Nice to see you Jeff," I tell him looking up, taking in this month's arrangement of facial hair and hat. Small goatee surrounding soul patch I note. I hate his hat.

"You too, sweet pea," he says and kisses my head, "d'you want a drink?" he asks, waving his beer in front of me.

"We're gonna go..." Eddie interrupts before I can answer. He doesn't explain further just shoots Jeff a knowing look.

"Ahhh...of course...don't blame you," Jeff grins at me and I feel my cheeks burn yet again.

"We have a date, a date date," Eddie explains looking adorably pleased with himself.

"We do?"

"Yes, we do," Eddie says then leans in and whispers in my ear, "because if I don't get you out of here in the next five minutes things could get embarrassing." He kisses me just below my ear which causes my knees to feel like they're about to give way from under me. It's the first time I've felt his lips on me in six months.

"I'm just gonna let Mike know we're leaving," he calls as he heads off to the back to find him, leaving me slightly dazed.

"Praise baby Jesus and all his carpenter friends! Thank fucking fuck!" Kev is raising his palms to the heavens in some kind of hallelujah pose, "everything is right in the universe once more." I roll my eyes at him. He's sitting on a sofa in the corner with Stone. I make my way over, clearing a way through the cloud of smoke that surrounds them.

"Samantha," Stone nods primly.

"Stoneward," I nod back.

"You're looking well," Stone says appreciatively.

"As are you," I reply, smirking slightly.

"Does this mean we can address one another in public again?" Stone enquires formally, exhaling a plume of smoke. Good question, I think. I guess so, I mean Eddie's here and so is Kirst and they 'smooched'.

"I don't see why not," I shrug.

"Excellent, in that case..." Stone unfolds his long legs, stands up and gives me a cuddle.

"I missed you Scrunch," I mumble into his t-shirt, inhaling him. 

"Missed you too, Scout," he whispers back. I look up at him with my eyebrows raised.

"Scout?"

"Yeah, Scout," he confirms primly, "as in Girl Scout, dip-shit."

"Uh, yeah, I got that," I snort, "you're such a dick."