1991 Part 27

"We can put him to bed if you guys help me," Kirst says impatiently. As soon as Jeff and Eddie dragged Stone into the lounge she'd jumped up from Kev's lap. Now it seems she's past caring and just wants him out of the way. 

"Don't be too hard on him Kirst, he's not done it on purpose," I try telling her. I think back to what Stone told me earlier, when we talked right before we kissed, how he feels weird about his and Kirst's relationship. He said the exact thing she complained about herself, that it was too serious too fast. It's obvious he's letting off steam, just like she is by sitting on Kev's lap. Problem is there's no way I can let them know they're both having the same thoughts without letting her know Stone told me.

Kirst just looks at me and rolls her eyes. 

"He knew what he was doing, starting with the fucking margaritas with you," she snaps.

"Hey, this isn't the result of the margaritas Kirst, look at him for fucks sake!"

Stone is now staring at a light bulb like it's the holy grail. 

"I don't think he knew this would happen, Jeff said he thought it was probably Dave's fault," I add. I haven't forgotten that Dave is the one who suggested Eddie was fucking Beth in an alleyway. I've got no loyalty to him.

"Dave! Dave!" Kirst starts shrieking across the room at Dave, who is wrapping himself around Becky like an octopus. "Do you think this is fucking funny?" Kirst points at Stone looking vacant on the sofa, her face is bright red, she is fuming. 

"Yeah, I do," Dave answers grinning unapologetically from ear to ear. Jeff and Eddie aren't helping either, Jeff is flicking bits of food at Stones head and Eddie keeps passing him random objects to hold, a candle, then a pen, then a CD, his own shoe, a cactus... Stone takes each one and examines it with a look of pure astonishment on his face.

"Yeah come on Kirst, trip-sitting is entertainment for the whole family," Jeff laughs.

Mike is the only one who seems to share Kirsty's irritation. 

"I think we should go," he yells to the others, "let Kirsty have some peace." Kirsty looks at him gratefully. Secretly I completely agree. Yes! Leave please, everyone, so Stone can't let anything slip. I trust Stone implicitly when he's sober but right now he's a liability. He absolutely would not want anyone to know if he was in his right mind, he'd be mortified. 

"I'm actually really tired," I say to no one in particular, hopeful that my hint will be picked up. To my complete surprise Kev actually does notice, which is a first. I beam at him gratefully.

"Yeah, time to hit the hay. Beck? What are your plans?" Kev asks Becky casually. I know Kev is looking out for her, especially after what happened with Nick and now with the less than gentlemanly behaviour coming from Dave. "Do you want to catch a ride with us?"

"Could I? That would be great," Becky smiles, leaving Dave looking dejected on the sofa. 

"You're leaving?" Eddie leaves Stone holding his collection of objects and comes to me. I smile up at him as he puts his hands around my waist, like he's the sun. 

"Yes, I am," I look into his blue eyes and kiss him gently.

"Well, can I come with you?" he asks quietly with a grin.

Every square inch of my body is screaming yes. 

"No, you can't," I whisper with a self restraint that would impress a nun.

 "Why not?" he mumbles petulantly, nuzzling his lips against the delicate skin on my neck and gripping my waist tightly. Every tiny hair on my arms stands to attention.