1991 Part 36

"You'd better duck gorgeous."

"Wait! No, no, stop! Please, please, please Chris! I'm begging you, please!"

I wriggle violently, trying to escape Chris' clutches. Insisting on carrying me all the way back down the street to the bar is one thing but carrying me inside the venue over his shoulder is not going to happen. I thrash as much as I can to escape. Several people gathered around the entrance start laughing

"Ok! Ok! Stop, Sam, stop kicking, I'll put you down!" Chris laughs and carefully places me back down on the ground outside the door. My head is spinning after the rush of blood to my head from being upside down for so long. Being right side up makes me stagger slightly, I'm seeing stars.

"Easy there, you ok tiny?" he says, holding onto me.

"I'm ok, I'm ok, just give me a second," I wait for the world to stop spinning. "Was that really necessary?" I ask with one hand to my forehead.

"I think so," Chris nods to himself, "you're doing this sweetheart, one way or another."

"Why though? Why do you care so much about this?" I ask steadying myself on the door. Chris looks at me for a second and sighs.

"Honestly?"

"Yeah, honestly, why?"

"Does it sound weird if I say I've never known two people so similar?"

"Me and Eddie?" I wrinkle my brow, really? I can't think of much we have in common, except for a seriously pretentious belief in our taste in music and a carnal lust for one another. Maybe we do and I just don't know it. After all, we never got to go on the date date.

"I'm not talking a shared love of ballroom dancing or tai chi or some shit," Chris explains, "I mean it's like you're cut from the same cloth, both of you, you have this awareness and appreciation of like everything, it's like you're detached from the rest of us, off in your own little worlds," he smiles to himself and raises his eyebrows, "kinda eccentric, deep thinkers who are just a bit removed from the rest of us. I dunno, that's kinda how I see it anyway." Chris looks at me with a smirk, "I'm never sure what's going on behind those beautiful big blue eyes, and by that I mean both of you, but it's a lot!" he laughs.

I laugh too. I don't know if he's right but it sounds like a pretty nice compliment to me.

"Thank you," I smile bashfully and give him a squeeze.

"My pleasure," he grins.

Once the blood has rushed back down to my feet I take a deep breath. 

"Ready ninja warrior?" Chris asks, taking my hand and threading his fingers with mine. He holds on really tight, "shall we go take those fuckers on?" 

I exhale and shiver slightly.

"Ready," I grin.

---------------------------------------------

Back inside the stage is empty. The house lights are back up and the crowd has thinned substantially. I can see the booth, and everyone else still talking and drinking, Beth included I realise with a sigh and my heart sinks. Chris senses my apprehension and gives my hand a squeeze. We walk over together through the dwindling crowd, the floor now littered with trash. 

Chris ignores everyone, wraps an arm around me and guides me to a couple of guys I've not seen before. I notice the table becomes slightly quieter as we approach. Beth who was chattering away in Matt's ear, looks up and glares at me as we walk past. I am a fucking warrior bitch, I repeat under my breath and give her my biggest fuck you smile. Kirst blows me a kiss and Kev ruffles my hair as I pass. I try to tidy it as Chris introduces me.