1991 Part 46

I pad downstairs ten minutes later, my hair still damp, clutching Stone's t-shirt. Eddie, Jeff and Mike are watching MTV in the lounge as I pass but they don't notice me. I head straight into the kitchen to find Stone.

"Hey, I wanted to say thanks," I blurt quickly, wanting to get the words out before I mess it up, "for last night..."

Stone raises an eyebrow at me and a grin twitches at the corner of his mouth.

"Wow, Sammy, when you say it like that..." he teases, making me blush.

"You know what I mean!" I punch him playfully on the arm. "I mean thanks, for keeping me company."

"Pleasure, as always," Stone smiles and goes back to loading the dishwasher. I loiter not really sure what to say next. Why is this so difficult?

"You...you really helped...with the Eddie thing. Without you I probably would have given up and just dumped him!" I try to laugh. Stone just smiles and nods. "You're a good friend to him, really. He's lucky to have you on his side..."

Stone shuts the dishwasher door and straightens up to full height, making me feel very small. For a moment I think he's going to say something, he pauses and opens his mouth as though to speak but then seems to think better of it.

"Anyway...thanks for everything," I shove the t-shirt at him, "er...here's your shirt back." Stone looks at me for a second and takes his t-shirt. He turns it over slowly in his hands.

"Take it," he says and hands it back.

"Oh, ok, I can wash it and bring it..."

"No, I mean, keep it..."

"Really? You're giving it to me?"

"It looks better on you anyway," Stone grins catching my eye. It's weird looking up at a guy but kinda nice, like I'm small but in a good way. His eyes are really pretty. I stare at him for a moment then clear my throat.

"Ahem, anyway...Eddie's driving me home, so I guess I'll see you later." I turn to leave but then turn back quickly to wrap my arms around his waist. Stone hugs me back and leans down to kiss my cheek. We break apart and grin at each other.

"Would it be weird if I call you sometime?" he adds as I'm heading for the door. For a second I panic, "just as friends of course..."

"Of course!" I blurt.

"I really like hanging out with you Scout." Stone looks sheepish. I can't help but smile.

"I like hanging out with you too Scrunch," I say wrinkling my nose. It's true, I do. It's so easy to spend time with Stone, the conversation just flows like we're on the same frequency. No awkwardness, no worrying about things getting lost in translation. It just fits. "No, it wouldn't be weird, I'd like that very much."

"Cool, later this week then?"

"Sure," I grin and walk out the door.

----------------------------

Eddie and I drive home in silence. I find it hard to even look at him so I keep my head down and grip Stone's t-shirt on my lap. Even when he reverses out of the drive, with one arm thrown over the back of my seat I feel nothing.

"I had a really good time last night Sam," he says finally when we're pulling up outside my house.

"Me too," I smile, unbuckling my seat belt and reaching for the door handle, "it was fun."