II. THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING

ii. the beginning of something
- silks of heaven, chapter two -

 the beginning of something- silks of heaven, chapter two -

SPARKS. THAT'S WHAT SHE felt every time her hand accidentally brushed against her best friend's hand. That's what she felt every time he smiled at her from across the room. That's what she felt every time he laughed at her joke. That's what she felt every single time their eyes met.

Regulus Black, your average sarcastic, daddy issues Slytherin. The Slytherin seeker who cared for no one but himself. The boy who we all know secretly has a soft spot in his heart.

Jasmine Potter, the part-time Marauder who has top grades in class and the perfect family home. The "innocent" girl with a big mouth. The girl who's overly nice, but will slit your throat if you hurt a friend.

He loved her, he said, as a friend. She was "like his sister."

She wanted to be so much more than that to him. She wished for them to be closer than best friends. Something more. Where he says he loves her more than friends.

"You look nice," Regulus said, sitting down next to her in Potions. she didn't notice when he arrived, her head was buried in her book.

"Morning, Reg," she smiled, shutting her book and sliding it into her bag.

"I said you look nice," he repeated.

"Oh!" she laughed. "I thought you were joking."

His face fell and he turned to face her completely.

"Am I — am I that mean to you?" he asked fondly. "I don't mean it, I promise."

"Yeah, it's just that you're never nice to me, Reg," she said.

"I am! You just always think I'm joking!" he shot.

"Right, name more than three things you like about me," she scoffed.

"I can do a lot more than three, Jas," he raised his eyebrows. "Your name, your hair, your eyes, your sense of humour, how easily you get high —"

"You can't include that!" she interrupted.

"Can do. Anyways, where's the professor?"

Just as they began looking around the room, Professor Slughorn walked in, wearing a far too happy face.

"Oh, no! Happy Slughorn isn't a good sign," Reg laughed, playfully nudging her. "And here come the class clowns."

His voice fell to a cold, sarcastic, cruel tone just as the Marauders came in.

"Regulus, they're not that bad," she muttered under her breath so only he could hear.

"Yes, they are," he drawled on, "make me want to murder myself. You only like them because they're also Gryffindors."