III. BLACK LAKE

iii. black lake
- silks of heaven, chapter three -

THEY WERE LAUGHING TO the point where their stomachs ached

"You asshole!"

Jasmine and Regulus were sitting by the Black Lake, watching as the water peacefully swirled and swished. He had gotten frustrated of her reading, so he chucked her book into the water.

"You're a fucking ass, Reg," she laughed.

"Sorry!" He put his arm around her and let her rest her head on his chest. "I want you to pay attention to me. Properly," he added when she opened her mouth to speak.

"Fine. So ... why do you want me to pay attention to you?"

"I want to confess my undying love for you!" he said sarcastically, but those words pulled on her heartstrings. "I just want to catch up, of course. We're barely together, seeing as most of our classes are different and we're in different houses."

She nodded in agreement.

"Remus kissed Sirius. I mean, is that what you meant or do you need a bit less drama?"

"What? Hold on, my brother, Sirius? Remus kissed my brother?" Reg moved his arm off my shoulder and ran his hands through his hair. "Shit, then."

"I think they're cute," she shrugged.

"No, me too. And surprisingly, I'm happy for that wanker that calls himself my brother. But, just think for a second, Jas, what if my parents find out? Remus is a half-blood Gryffindor."

She didn't think about that. At all. Remus is not the guy that Walburga and Orion Black would like to see paired with Sirius.

"How would they know?" she mumbled.

"If it were a normal son, they wouldn't. But Sirius would brag about it. And I can't stand to see him the way he is when he argues with my parents," he continued. "Dumbass. Fucking — dumbass! What's going through his brain —"

"Reggie! Calm down, please." — her voice fell to a whisper — "I hate seeing you like this. All worried and shit. I'm sure they won't find out."

His eyes lay on her again. There was gentleness in the way he stared at her. It was silent. They made no eye contact, but they didn't take our eyes off each other. There was also hunger in the way he stared at her. Aggressiveness, in a way.

"You're right," Regulus suddenly said. "I'm overreacting. I don't even care what happens to him. He's asking for it at this point."

"I just hope he'll be okay. I know you don't care about him, but I do," Jasmine said, "now it's your turn. How is school going for you?"

"I'm dreading Christmas because my parents want me back at home," he said.

"You can tell them you're going to a friend's," she suggested, "I know that my parents wouldn't mind having you round for Christmas. I mean if they've had someone like Sirius, you'll be no problem, right?"