XXIV. DIAGON ALLEY

xxiv. diagon alley
- silks of heaven, chapter twenty four -

DIAGON ALLEY WAS PACKED with Hogwarts students and their parents

DIAGON ALLEY WAS PACKED with Hogwarts students and their parents. Jasmine stayed close to James, not wanting to lose him or her parents in the crowd.

"Hey, in here," James said, walking past Flourish and Blotts.

Jasmine followed him into the shop. The owner squeezed through the crowded shop and made it to the siblings. Euphemia and Fleamont waited outside for them.

"Potters, am I right?" the owner asked. Jasmine nodded. "Seventh years?"

"Yeah, we've got our list," James said, quite rudely. "May we come through?"

"Of course, of course," the owner said. "Go through. You don't need help at all?" James shook his head. "That's great, I can go help the Blacks over there."

He walked away and Jasmine's eyes followed him. She saw Regulus standing next to his mother, carrying his books in his hand, a pained look on his face. Her eyes shifted to his brother, who was standing next to his father. He had bruises over his eyes and a scar on his lip. Jasmine quickly realised why and nudged James.

"Sirius," she muttered. James' face lit up and he looked in the same direction as her, but his face dropped again when he noticed the injuries on Sirius' face.

Sirius spotted them and sneaked away from his parents. Regulus also looked up and saw Jasmine, but he looked back down in shame, his face growing red.

"Ah! James and Jasmine Potter! How was your summer, Jas?" Sirius said, smiling widely.

"Your face, Padfoot. You didn't have all those injuries the last time I sneaked over," James said. "What did they do to you this time ..?"

"Leave it, James," Sirius said with a cold, cruel tone. "Get your books and let's go find Marls and Lils ... buy some drinks. What do you say, hm?"

"I'm being serious," James said.

"No, I'm Sirius," Sirius joked. "You know what they're like. There's nothing you can do, Prongs."

"Sirius, what did —"

"Shut up, James, please." Sirius clenched his jaw. "Look, I don't want to fight. Let's pick up your books and leave. The sooner, the better. Fucking Reg is all eyes on us."

Jasmine looked back at Regulus, he was staring at them. More specifically, right at her. She made eye contact with him for a few long moments, staring right at him. He managed a smile, even though she could tell he was faking it. She smiled back and looked at James and Sirius again.