XXI. BOOKSTORE

xxi. bookstore
-silks of heaven, chapter twenty one-

JASMINE SLEPT IN THE next day, way too tired to get up and unpack

JASMINE SLEPT IN THE next day, way too tired to get up and unpack. James called her down for breakfast, but she just told him to shut up and went back to sleep.

When she finally dragged herself out of bed, she headed downstairs, where they started to put away their breakfast.

"Morning, dear," Euphemia said as Jasmine sat at the table, next to Fleamont. "We've got leftovers from breakfast, want anything?"

"Eh, not hungry," Jasmine said. "I'll make coffee for myself later, but thank you."

"Have you heard?" Fleamont said to Euphemia and James, but Jasmine listened anyway. "Dumbledore's recruiting for the Order."

"Of Phoenix?" James asked.

Jasmine tried to keep herself together — she still couldn't tell anyone.

"Yeah, he's even thinking about recruiting you seventh years," Fleamont said. "Didn't give me any details, though, the old hag."

"Monty!" Euphemia shrieked. "Watch your mouth! Dumbledore is a good man!"

"Hardly," Jasmine muttered. Fleamont laughed and patted her shoulder.

"That's my girl."

Euphemia entered the kitchen with a pile of plates and Jasmine followed, to help her keep everything in order.

"Why isn't Regulus here for the summer? I liked him," Euphemia said, as Jasmine enchanted the plates and the sink.

"Mum, it's a long story, but we're not on good terms," Jasmine said.

"Oh, dear. Well, Sirius and James always get over these silly fights, you'll be friends again soon."

"That's the thing," Jasmine explained. "We became more than friends over Christmas ... then, it turned into 'love'. But he couldn't commit, bloody idiot."

"I can only imagine how hard that's been, Jasmine," Euphemia said quietly.

"I've gotten over it," Jasmine lied. "It wasn't real love anyway. What you and Dad have is real. What we had was ..."

"You fell for your bestfriend and you couldn't go back to being just friends," Euphemia said. "So you forced yourself to stay? And convinced yourself it was love?"

"Basically," Jasmine said. "Wow, Mum, you know a lot?"

Euphemia laughed. "Jasmine, I had my days. I wasn't an old mother all my life."

They both burst into laughter and Jasmine's worries about Regulus faded. Maybe she could have a care-free summer, no thoughts about love at all. She felt lightweight, for once.