XVII. THE MARK

xvii. the mark
- silks of heaven, chapter seventeen -

MARCH QUICKLY FADED INTO April and the weather was sunny and bright

MARCH QUICKLY FADED INTO April and the weather was sunny and bright. The whole school was put into a better mood with this new sunshine, but not Regulus.

He had been hiding his secret from Jasmine for months now and he wanted to find a way to tell her.

He waited for her outside of the Gryffindor common room to walk to breakfast together. She walked out quickly, clearly annoyed.

"You okay, love?" he asked her, putting his arm around her.

"No, I'm not bloody okay," Jasmine spat. "Bloody Caspian's gone 'round telling everyone about that night. And he's lied. Saying that I've slept with many boys."

"What — the boy on the train? That's the same one?" Regulus asked, his voice becoming more threatening.

"He's in there now, talking to his stupid mate," Jasmine scoffed. "They're about to leave now, that's why I came out so quickly."

"He's about to come out? Here?" Regulus repeated. "Right, let's wait,"

"Wait? Why would —-"

Before Jasmine could finish her sentence, two Gryffindor boys crawled out from the portrait. Jasmine felt Regulus' arm fall from her shoulder and he walked toward Caspian.

"A little birdie told me that you've been spreading rumours about my gir — my best mate. Am I accurate in saying that?" Regulus growled. Caspian just stood there, looking him up and down in silence. "I'm not going to repeat myself."

"They're not rumours if they're true," Caspian said, his voice small and timid compared to Regulus'.

Regulus clenched his fists, "Say it again. I dare you."

"It's true," Caspian said. "It's true that your mate is a slut. She shagged me before even knowing my full name —"

Caspian could say no more, for Regulus threw his arm upwards and landed it in the middle of Caspian's face. When Regulus brought his fist back again, it was covered in blood from Caspian's nose.

"Regulus!" Jasmine took his hand. "Just leave it, please, I don't want you to get hurt!"

But, he already did. Caspian threw a weak punch at the side of Regulus' face. Regulus stumbled backwards and placed his hand on his face.

He jumped onto Caspian without a second thought, hitting punches on every part of his body. He wanted to cause him as much pain as possible. They both fell backwards onto the floor, Caspian hitting his head hard.

"I think he's had enough," Jasmine said, trying to pull Regulus off. Regulus pushed her off with the back of his elbow and hit Caspian again.

Caspian's face was covered with the same blood that was on Regulus' fist. Caspian's friend was long gone now, nowhere to be seen.