XXIX. WELCOMING ARMS

xxix. welcoming arms
- silks of heaven, chapter twenty nine -

 welcoming arms- silks of heaven, chapter twenty nine -

JASMINE WAS STUNNED FOR a few moments. Then her eyebrows furrowed and she stared at him intensely.

"You're leaving? Now?" she spluttered. "Regulus.."

"Jasmine, it's the smartest thing to do. Where's the first place that they'll come looking for Sirius?" Regulus asked. "Here. And if they find me here. Hell, I'll be disowned, too."

He was right, and Jasmine knew it. But she didn't wand to admit it.

"But ... when are you leaving?" she asked, hopeful.

"Now. Like I said.. the sooner, the better," he responded. "I'm sorry."

Her heart sank, "I understand."

Regulus nodded at her, almost like saying thank you, and walked upstairs silently. Jasmine turned back around. Sirius was in Euphemia's arms, still, but everyone was staring at her.

Her eyes fogged with tears and her face crumbled. James ran up to her and took her in his arms, holding her tightly. She sobbed and sobbed.

He stroked her hair, rubbed her back, but her crying didn't stop until she heard Regulus walk back down. She wiped away her tears quickly enough for him to not notice it.

Regulus walked up to her and sighed, "I'm so sorry. I don't want to leave ..."

If it was even possible, her heart sank lower.

"Don't be sorry," she relented. "You don't have any other choice."

She tried to form a smile, but couldn't manage. She just stared at him. Regulus held her hands into his. His eyes were sparkling with tears.

"I'll see you at school, okay?" he said quietly. She nodded.

"Do you want be to Apparate with you?" she offered.

"No, no, no," he assured. "Stay here with Sirius and James. I'll be fine, I promise."

Jasmine nodded again. He kissed her head and Apparated.

She sat next to her mother, as everyone else began talking to Sirius. He explained everything, but she was zoned out, only thinking about Regulus.

***

Despite the fact that Regulus had left with not much goodbye's, Jasmine felt lightweight over the week leading up to Christmas Day.