XVIII. BLACK BROTHERS

xviii. black brothers
- silks of heaven, chapter eighteen -

JASMINE UNWRAPPED HER LEGS from his waist and slowly walked over to Sirius

JASMINE UNWRAPPED HER LEGS from his waist and slowly walked over to Sirius. He just stared from Regulus to Jasmine.

"I — Jas? Reggie?" Sirius struggled. "What ...?"

"Sirius," Jasmine reasoned. "I — Merlin — I don't know where to even begin ..."

Sirius' mouth fell open. "I warned you ... you promised me you wouldn't commit to him. Jas, he's not a good person."

"I'm standing right here, Sirius," Regulus spat. Sirius glared at him and turned back to Jasmine with a softer look on his face.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I'm sorry, Sirius, but I can't control who I like."

Sirius rubbed his eyes and sighed. "Please ... please tell me you haven't slept with him, Jasmine. Please?"

Jasmine just stared at him, her green eyes sparkling with tears.

"Jasmine, please," he repeated, his voice cracking. "You don't realise what you're putting yourself through! You can't trust him."

"Mind your fucking mouth," Regulus said, moving in front of Jasmine. "She doesn't owe you anything. She can go out with whoever she wants."

"Don't let me get started with you," Sirius scoffed. "Just when I thought you were getting better, you pull this shit."

"Sirius, please," Jasmine choked. "Can we just talk about it?"

"I was worried for you, Jas," Sirius said. "Why would you make a promise that you couldn't keep?"

"I didn't think he'd like me back," Jasmine spluttered. "But, Sirius, you have to accept the fact that I couldn't control my feelings. You know what that's like, don't you? Liking someone who you know you shouldn't like."

"You're not doing this right now," he said, his tone cold and cruel now. "Don't fucking compare Remus to this monster —"

"Shut up!" Regulus shouted. "You think I wanted this life? To be chosen as the new heir? I wouldn't have this fucking life if you just listened to our parents."

"Listened to them?" Sirius repeated, stifling a laugh. "The same parents who were going to force me to marry Narcissa? The same parents who forced you to become a Death Eater? The same parents who don't actually give a shit about us?"

Regulus was lost for words. His eyes filled with tears and he punched the wall.

"You know exactly what I've been through," Regulus said weakly. "And yet you call me a monster? My own brother?"