Chapter 35

"Why are we not back yet?" I asked through my tears after I've realized we've driven through the same block for, at least, the third time.

"Do you really want to?" Michael asked from the driver's seat and looked at me from the rearview mirror. As soon as I noticed, I averted my gaze, not wanting him to see my puffy red face.

"What?"

"Do you really want me to take you back to the penthouse?" he repeated his question and turned his gaze back to the road as the car moved forward after the lights changed green.

"Yes? Where else would I want to go?"

"Back where we came from?" and though it sounded like a question, it was clear he was sure of what he said, having no doubt in his voice as he spoke.

"Why on earth would I want to go back there? It's pointless,"

"You know that's not true,"

"Of course it is," I sighed, "I didn't want to third wheel and I don't exactly have anywhere else to go,"

"You say it as if you were intruding,"

"Wasn't I?" I countered, "You saw they were all over each other. My presence was clearly not wanted. Not that I care. Lisa can do whatever the fuck she wants,"

"I don't know why you're trying to convince me of that if you, yourself, don't believe it,"

"What?" I scoffed, "I really don't care. She is a free woman, she can do whatever she wants. I just know when I'm not welcome anymore. I came for help, got it, and it was clearly time for me to go. Simple as that,"

"Do you really see it that way?" he countered knowingly, not taking his eyes off the road and instead piercing me with his voice.

"What do you mean?" I sniffled and chuckled right after to mask the sound, though it was pointless because even if I sat in the back seat this time around, I was pretty sure he knew I was crying.

"I don't think she wanted you to leave,"

"And how would you know that, huh?" I asked, a little annoyed because truthfully, I didn't particularly like the flow of our current conversation.

"The way she grabbed you was a dead giveaway, not to mention she kept refusing the other woman's advances,"

"Yeah, right," I scoffed, "If pulling her closer is rejecting her, then sure, totally rejected. Why are we even talking about this? I told you, I don't care,"

"Clearly," he shook his head, and I cocked my brow at the motion.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked accusingly.

"Nothing," he shrugged.

"No," I shook my head and leaned forward in my seat, no longer caring about my appearance, "What did you mean, huh? Do you think I care about her? I'm married in case you failed to notice,"

"Oh yeah, I noticed. The bruises and pain in your eyes too," he retorted sharply, and my breath hitched.

"W-what?"

"You might think you're fooling everyone, but you're not. Everyone who pays attention can see you're not happy Chaeyoung,"

"Bullshit," I snapped.

"Oh, yeah?" he stopped the car at the side of the road, undid his seatbelt with a click, and turned around, his eyes piercing through mine, "Why are you crying then, huh? Because you don't care?"

"That's none of your business," I muttered, wiping the tears that escaped my eyes, sliding against my hollowed cheeks.

"Maybe not," he admitted, "but I care about you,"