Chapter 19

"What are we doing here?" I chuckled as Lisa opened the door for me and stepped out of the car.

"I thought we could both use a break from everything," Lisa shrugged with a gentle smile, as she took my hand and led me down the green path, towards the big oak tree by the lake.

"How did you even find this place?" I enquired when she pulled me with her as she sat down, her back against the trunk of the tree, connecting my back with her front.

"I'm not sure, really," she mused, "it was a while ago, shortly after I moved here, actually. I think I was just stressed with school and family stuff, and just needed a release. You know I like to drive around to take my mind off of things, so that's how I ended up here. I was just driving around and saw an exit to the forest-"

"And you thought why not go there, seems like a great idea, I hope I don't get murdered," I laughed loudly, making Lisa slap my thigh for making fun of her.

"That's not it, idiot,"

"Hey! Don't be mean, Lisa," I pouted, my brows furrowing, as I looked back at the blonde.

"As I was saying," she ignored me and continued her story, "I just saw an opening between the trees so I thought why not. I was always drawn to nature, it made me relax and feel like there were things so much bigger in this world than just my problems. And that's how I found this lake. I stayed here the whole day until the sunset. Jennie called me several times to ensure I was okay, but I left my phone in the car so I didn't hear it. She gave me an earful when I came back."

"That does sound like her," I giggled and leaned into Lisa's chest further, relishing in her warmth regardless of how hot it was outside, making the younger tighten her hold around my body.

"I've been coming here ever since," she finished and looked into the distance, as if in search of something.

"Thank you for bringing me here, I know this place means a lot to you," I spoke sincerely, stroking the exposed skin of her forearm with my fingertips.

"You're the only person I've ever taken here, I'm not sure if I told you before. But I'm glad I did. You make it feel less... lonely. So really, thank you for keeping me company," she finished her sentence with a gentle kiss to my shoulder, making my heart flutter and my insides turn into mush. She always had that effect on me, even with the most simple gestures.

We sat there in silence for what felt like hours, time passing slowly whenever I was wrapped in her arms, but neither of us felt like saying anything. Instead, we focused on the sound of rustling leaves every time a gentle summer breeze went by. To the sound of birds tweeting happily as they flew all around us or jumped from one branch to another. Or to the way small twigs snapped as an animal walked on it, probably a squirrel.

And as beautiful and peaceful as it was here, I couldn't help but focus on her heartbeat the most. While she listened to nature talking to her, I took my time to listen to the way her heart called out to me.

I listened to the way it was beating against my back in a steady rhythm, lulling me to sleep like a lullaby in her strong and warm embrace. I focused on the rising and falling of her chest as she breathed in the damp air, smelling of needles and the still water before us. And I focused on the way her fingers haven't stopped drawing random patterns across my exposed arms, nor the way her lips landed on my shoulder, my neck, or the side of my face every so often.

Truth was, not only could I fall asleep like this, I could die in her arms as long as this was the last memory I would have. The two of us, sitting in the shade provided by the big oak tree, shielding us away from the scorching sun and the heat. Her, right here with me, the movement of her fingers not stilling for even a moment as if she wanted to remind me constantly, she was here.