Chapter 38

"Okay, baby, I have to go. The flight is boarding. I'll see you in a few hours," Lisa spoke over the phone.

It's been three days since I have last seen the Thai and even though we've spent far more days in separation in the past, I missed her immensely. Despite promising we would face time when she was gone, the task was next to impossible since everything was so rushed and Lisa had barely had any time to herself.

And though we texted throughout the day, it wasn't enough. Not to mention the time difference between the two countries. I just couldn't wait to have her back here again with me. Because though it's just been days, I felt homesick and needed the raven's arms back in their place around me.

I was also incredibly curious to hear what she'd have to say, not having disclosed anything over texts. Her trip wasn't a vacation after all, and I wondered if she obtained any valuable information that could help us dig out some dirt on Chanyeol. I didn't even spare a thought to the possibility it's all just been a coincidence, knowing this was the only lead we had and if it didn't work out, all of this would be over, and eventually, I would have to get back to the life I had with my husband.

Naturally, I didn't share this with Lisa, not daring to see her reaction when I told her our current living situation was merely temporary and if her brother and Chanyeol weren't involved. Albeit I was sure deep down she already knew that just refused to acknowledge it. It was obvious to both the women I stayed with while Lisa was gone, so I was sure Lisa was only avoiding the issue.

However, not only was I curious about what she would say once she came back, but I also worried about the younger woman. Despite the pictures I've seen of her in prison that Chanyeol showed me, I knew Lisa would be seeing her brother for the first time since he committed the crime. I trusted her because though she withheld important information from me; I knew her motive wasn't malicious, but one to protect me from the pain the truth would cause. I knew I had no reason not to trust her, so despite the "evidence" Chanyeol showed me prior to everything, I chose to disregard it.

Chanyeol couldn't be trusted, I was sure of as much. Since the beginning he tried to put me to my knees and completely annihilate any source of happiness I have ever had, only adding pain to the already existing wounds. It wasn't surprising at all he would show me photoshopped pictures just to make me hate the woman more.

For that reason, I was concerned about her. Because since she hadn't seen him since then - despised him even, based on what she told me I knew this would be hard on her. Especially if she was all alone, unable to contact me, or anyone else, properly. She would meet him after years of separation; the man she trusted, she loved, she grew up with, who has transformed into a killer. In no world was that an easy task and I got anxious whenever I, as much as, thought of it. The meeting would surely take a toll on Lisa's heart, and it hurt me too, knowing she was in pain, feeling betrayed, and couldn't make it any better.

I couldn't even imagine what this was like for her. When he was all she ever had, only for him to turn into someone she never knew; into someone, she didn't recognize. For the man, she described as warm and kind to turn into a cold-blooded murderer fueled by what... revenge? Jealousy? She must have felt absolutely betrayed and broken-hearted when she lost the only family she had left. And I couldn't do anything to help her.

Shaking those thoughts away, I forced a smile, "Alright, have a safe flight. I can't wait to see you," I spoke earnestly.

"I can't wait to see you too," she confessed and though I couldn't see her, I recognized the smile in her voice that would always make me melt whenever I'd see it, "Bye baby, I love you,"

"I love you too,"

The line went silent as Lisa ended the call, and I collapsed on the bed with, this time, a happy smile on my face. I have disregarded every trace of worry when I knew she would be back in just a few hours. Just one more night without her and I'd have her back in my arms, where she belonged.