D.2 Part 9

(YN)'s P.O.V

We all watched on in complete shock as Ben walked up the steps and led Uma down by her hand. The king's parents greeted him awkwardly. What appeared to hurt Mal the most was when Ben kissed Uma's knuckles. " Do we do something? " I whispered to Evie. " I-I I don't know. " She stuttered. Ben turned to Mal. " Sorry. It all happened so fast. " He apologized. " Something happened to me when I was on the Isle with Uma. A connection. " Ben looked to Uma as he finished his last sentence. " What are you saying? " Mal gasped out. " I'm saying... " Ben started before Uma cut him off. " It was love. " She said. " I just realized how alike Ben and I are, you know? " Ben held Uma's hands, telling her that he knew. " You're so beautiful. " The king told her. Mal repeated Ben's name until he and Uma turned to her. " Did you go back for her? " Mal asked. " He didn't have to. " Uma explained. " I dove through the barrier before it closed, and I'm an excellent swimmer, so... " Ben and the daughter of Ursala shared more loving giggles until Uma turned away and took Mal's hand into her own. " Listen Mal. I just really want to thank you. I do. For everything. " She said before hugging a heartbroken and now uncomfortable Mal. 

" Thank you. Thank you so much. " Uma thanked emotionally. " Don't you see, Mal? You were right. Ben said, now apparently agreeing with the reason Mal wanted to stay. " You knew that we weren't meant to be together. That's why you never told me that you loved me. Thank you. " When did actions mean less than words, Ben? She left her entire life of evil for you! Evie let go of my hand to bring Mal closer to us. Slow dance music began to play for Ben and Uma. " Not too thrilled I risked my life for him. " Carlos mumbled. I swear if any of my cards died for him. " We're with you, Mal. " Loonie comforted. " Let's get out of here. " Jay said. I nodded and followed my friends up the deck. " Mal. " Adam called out. Mal stopped and delayed the rest of us. " Honey, we're so sorry. We had no idea. " Belle apologized. " I'm gonna talk to him. " Adam promised. Like that'd help. 

If he actually listened to you we wouldn't be allowed into Auradon in the first place. Jane ran up the stairs faster than us. " Lumiere, unveil the gift. They need to see it. " She ordered frantically. Lumiere nodded quickly. " And now, for the unveiling of King Ben's masterpiece, designed especially for his lady. " He announced. The fanfare crew used their trumpets once more as another servant pulled down the cover, revealing a beautiful stainless glass portrait of Ben kneeling before a happy Mal. She wore a purple dress that truly symbolized her not the court that she was joining. I clapped alongside everyone as we admired what really was a masterpiece. Even Ben turned away from Uma to regard the artwork. " Ben did that? " Mal asked breathlessly. " Yeah, he did. " Evie answered. Evie helped an awestruck Mal back down the stairs. " Ben's known who I was all along. " The daughter of Maleficent said. " He loves the real you, Mal. " Evie assured. " A true love. " Mal said to herself. Uma sneered at the portrait and walked closer to the deck stairs. " Cover that back up! " She demanded angrily. " I will not. " Lumiere stated, eliciting a nervous chuckle from her.  " Why don't you tell everyone the present you have for me, Ben? " Uma asked nicely. Ben stared at her in a trance-like state before turning to us. " I have an announcement. " He declared. " Uma will be joining the court tonight as my lady. " You aren't in your right mind, Ben. You can't be. 

" Son. " Adam reasoned. " Not now, Dad! " Ben snapped, surprising us all. " Uh, so, as my gift,  uh,  to her, I'm bringing down the barrier once and for all. " We looked to each other in complete shock. I stepped off the stairs and confronted Ben, ignoring anyone trying to call me back. " This has gone too far, Ben. You aren't thinking straight. " I told the king. " Do you want your royal status or not? " Ben seethed. " Not if I have to share it with my mother! " I shouted. Ben ignored me then called out to Fairy Godmother. I growled and went back to Evie's side. " Bring down the barrier. " He commanded. " I most certainly will not. " The headmistress refused. " I am your king! " Ben affirmed angrily. " Obey him! " Uma shouted. " Ben's been spelled. " Mal realized. " She must've found your spellbook. " Evie added. " But wouldn't it be destroyed by water damage? " I asked. " Water protection spell. " Mal dismissed. Heh, understandable. Mal stepped down and began vying for Ben's attention alongside Uma. " Bring down the barrier now! " The daughter of Ursula demanded. " I do not take orders from you. " Fairy Godmother stated blatantly. " I never told you that I loved you because I thought that I wasn't good enough. " Mal said emotionally. " And I thought that it was only a matter of time before you realize that yourself. " She pointed to the glass portrait. " But, Ben, that's me. " Ben looked back to the portrait as Mal continued and Uma failed to get his attention. " I'm part Isle and part Auradon. And, Ben, you've always known who we were and who we can be. Ben, I know what love feels like now. Of course I love you. Ben, I've always loved you. " Mal finished, ending her heartfelt words with a kiss on the King's lips. Ben continued staring until a smile grew on his face. " Mal. " He called to her.