Chapter 11 - A little bit of exploring

His parents didn't stay long. They left the next day. I didn't get to say goodbye as I assumed Ares forbade it.

I was allowed out of my room a few days later. I was relieved to leave my cell and take a walk around. Maybe, even watch a movie in the home theater Phoebe told me about.

My fingers trailed along the walls as I strolled along the hallway on the second floor. I had already toured the first floor of the house. I was amazed at the number of rooms. There were a few bedrooms and bathrooms, the kitchen and dining room, a laundry room and two balconies. There was also a room with only a long table in the center, resembling a conference room.

My feet halted when I glimpsed a bedroom through a door that was left ajar. I glanced around, ensuring there was no one around before I sneaked inside. I didn't know why I even did that. I just felt a little curious.

It was a bedroom, and it was enormous. It had a king sized bed in the center with black satin sheets. The walls were painted a deep blue color. There was a tall dresser adjacent to the bed. I spotted a picture on the bedside table and I walked over to it, picking it up. This was definitely Ares' room.

I smiled, as I traced my finger over Ares' face. It was a picture of him and his parents when he was younger. There was a tiny smile on his lips and that was the closest I ever I got to seeing him smile. 

The bathroom was spacious and luxurious also, almost similar to mine. There was a door in the bathroom that was also left ajar so of course, I sneaked in, because I was a damn idiot and I wanted to know more about him. I didn't know what sneaking into his room would've taught me about him though.

It was a closet. It was a fricking walk-in closet. And, it was beautiful. The shirts were separated from the jackets. Jeans were separated from other pants. Ties were separated from bow ties. Sandals from sneakers. I even spotted a few red-bottom shoes.

I glimpsed a white shirt that was thrown carelessly on a sofa in front of a long mirror on the wall. Subconsciously, I picked it up and smelled it. It was obvious that this shirt was recently worn as the pleasant aroma of it filled my nostril. God, why did he have to smell so good?

My eyes closed, as I basked in the comfort his shirt gave me. Once I opened my eyes, something caught my attention: another door.

Putting back the shirt on the sofa, I walked over to the door, pulling it open. It was so dark inside but I soon found the light switch.

I gasped in utter shock when the room lighted up. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I had never seen so many guns in my life. There were a large number of guns hung up on all four walls in the room. It was like I was standing in a gun shop! I felt paralyzed. My feet were glued to the floor. It was evident; I was living in the home of a killer!

My heart raced as my chest began to feel heavy. I could hardly breathe as I stared at the guns in the room, from handguns and pistols to rifles and magazines.

I was having a damn panic attack. I always knew he was a killer but I didn't really think much of it...until now!

Oh God! I needed to get out of there. I needed to find a way to escape this place. I turned on my heels to run out of the room when I glimpsed a tall figure standing in the doorway.

"Shit!" I cursed as my heart began to race even faster.

He stood there, arms folded across his broad chest and his dark eyes glaring at me. I was afraid. I was scared. I was cowering in fear.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry—"

"You have no business in here!" He spat angrily.

"I kno—"

"What were you doing in my room?"

"I...I—"

"Exactly my point." He bellowed, slowly trudging towards me.

Oh God, this was the end. He was going to kill me.

"Are you going to kill me?" I whispered, a tear falling from my eye. God, I was so dreading the answer.

"Do you have a better punishment in mind?" He snarled, coming to a stop a few feet away from me.

"Do you kill people?" I already knew the answer. I hadn't forgotten that terrifying night when he shot the man standing right beside me. I was just stupid enough to ask what I already knew. I wanted confirmation.

"I think you already know the answer to that question. My bedroom is off limits. I do not want to catch you in here ever again." He snarled and I eagerly nodded my head in compliance, "Get out now and wait for me at the door."

Without hesitation, I sprinted out of the room and waited in apprehension at the door. Approximately two minutes later, he exited the room and glared at me for a few seconds which felt like hours. I nervously bit my lip and lowered my head in fear. If glares could kill, I'd be a dead woman right now.

"Walk." He ordered, and I quickly began walking in the direction of my room, "Not that way."

I turned around and went the other way as he followed closely behind me. I could feel him breathing on my neck and I was certain the hairs at the back were standing. I was so darn nervous. What would happen to me now? Was I walking to meet my death?

"Stop." He commanded, and I realized we were standing at the door of his playroom.

I guessed my punishment awaited me in there.  He unlocked the door and gently shoved me inside. The darkness of the room deepened my fear even more and I closed my eyes, silently hoping that I would make it to my twenty-second birthday.

●●●•••●●●

Vote and comment!