Chapter 29 - His Side of the Story

It had been three days since Ares showed up at my house, claiming that he loved me. I didn't know if I could believe him. I doubted he had ever lied to me but it was just so hard to believe that he had actually fallen in love with me.

He never once showed me any love or affection. He was always so heartless and mean.

How could I ever be with a killer? He was the boss of the mafia. I didn't want to be a part of that life. That life was too dangerous. I could never be with the man who kidnapped me and forced me to be his submissive. It was just...wrong.

I knew he wouldn't want a child so I had to tell him I was pregnant. Of course, I didn't lie to him. Truly, I was carrying his child. A few days after I returned home, I realized my period was over a month late so I bought a pregnancy test and it was positive.

I wasn't ready for a child at twenty-one. I didn't have a stable job or my own home. Plus, I was single; I'd be a single mother. But, I couldn't do an abortion. There was a human being growing inside me.

"That's amazing, baby. Is it Carter's baby?" Mom asked when I told her and dad the news.

"No. Um, do you remember that guy who visited me a few days ago?"

"Of course."

"He was the guy I'd been staying with. We...we sorta had a relationship."

Dad cocked a brow, "So, you cheated on Carter?"

"Yeah, but technically, he cheated first. He had been cheating on me for two years."

"What?!" Dad yelled angrily.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. He was such an amazing guy. No one would've thought he'd cheat on you." Mom cooed, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, mom, I'm fine. Dad, stop thinking about hitting him with your baseball bat. I broke up with him and we've agreed to be friends." I said with a little laugh.

"It's not good to be friends with your ex." Dad muttered, making me smile.

"I'm fine, dad."

"So, what's this guy's name?" Mom questioned.

"Ares. Ares Kingman."

"What does he do?"

"Uh, he's...he's in the, uh, family business." I answered nervously.

"Oh, okay." Dad replied with a slight narrowing of his eyes.

"Well, I'm so happy for you, babe. I'll be there for you every step of the way." Mom said and I smiled sweetly,

"I know, mom, thank you. Now, go. You'll both be late for work."

With a shared laughter, they stood up from my bed and dad bent to place a quick kiss on my forehead,

"It's good to have you back, sweetie."

I always felt comfortable talking to my parents. They were the best, they were non-judgmental and I could talk to them about anything at any time.

After they left, I strolled inside the kitchen to make myself some pancakes for breakfast.

It was after eight, but I felt the need to catch up on Grey's Anatomy.

Two episodes later, there was a knock on my front door. I glanced at the clock to see that it was a little after ten. It was still quite early to have a visitor.

I hoped it wasn't the detectives as I slowly walked to the door.

Upon opening the door, my breath hitched. I was not expecting him at all.

"Hi." He said with a small, hopeful smile.

"Uh, hi. What are you doing here?"

"Can we talk inside?" He inquired.

I buttoned my lips in uncertainty as I contemplated letting him in. What's the worst that could happen anyway?

"Sure."

I gestured for him to sit on the sofa and I sat opposite him.

"So, I've been thinking." He began.

"Yeah?"

Each time that I saw him, my heart did these little flips and I would be overwhelmed with all these different emotions. I was surprised that he was here but I was also happy to see him. I was also nervous and slightly intimidated.

"I'm sorry that I ran out like that the last time I was here. I was really surprised and I just didn't know what to do or what to say. I've always wanted a child but I...I guess I'm just afraid they'll turn out like me. I don't want my child to grow up knowing his dad is a killer. I'm not exactly a good role model."

My heart fell and I smiled at him in understanding.

"I want to be there for you and my child, Kathrina. I don't just want to be your baby's father. I want to be your husband." He said nervously with a sense of hope laced in his voice.

My eyes widened in surprise and slight joy, "Are you proposing?"

"Sorta. I didn't buy a ring as I wasn't sure you'd want to be with me. Kathrina, please give me a chance. We don't have to get married immediately. We can date and get to know each other much more until we're ready. I just want to be with you." Ares' eyes were sincere and true and he had this little, hopeful smile plastered on his face.

I never thought that I'd be proposed to at twenty-one. As a matter of fact, I rarely thought about marriage. Perhaps, it was buried in my subconscious that I'd like to get married one day but I'd never really dwelled upon it. I didn't even know he believed in marriage.

I still couldn't tell if he was changing and that he might really love me. Was it really bad that he kidnapped me and threatened me several times?

"But, you said it yourself, Ares. You said that you don't want your child to grow up knowing you're a killer. I really don't want to be with a killer either."

"Then, I'll give up the gang. I'll abolish it. I've always been interested in investing in real estate, anyway."

"Why were you a gang leader in the first place?" I questioned.

"The gang has been around for decades. The leader position was passed down from generation to generation, from father to son. I had no choice. I was trained to kill from age eight."

"But, can you just give it up like that?"

"No. I'd have to speak to my father about it. But if you give me a chance, I'll give up that life immediately. I'm serious. I don't only want to do this for you. This is for me as well. To be honest, I'm so tired of that life." He stated, reaching forth to hold my hands.

He looked at me lovingly and I stared back into his green eyes. He was willing to change for me. He was willing to be there for me and his child. I loved him and he loved me. Would it hurt to give him a chance?

Of course it would! He wasn't capable of love.

"I don't belong to you." I whispered and he frowned deeply.

Taking my face into his hand, he stared deeply into my eyes. I had never seen him so...broken. I had done that and I almost felt sorry for him.

He planted his lips on mine gently and I closely my eyes, kissing him back passionately for the last time. His lips glided across mine delicately and I fell in love with the taste of his lips.

He was never mine and I was never his.