Chapter 28 - My story

I told my parents to give me a week to prepare to speak to the cops. After a week had passed, two detectives arrived on my doorstep. I was texting Maria in my room when my mother came in to advise me they were here to question me. My heart was beating so fast in anxiousness. Cops had a way of drawing out the truth out of people and I knew I could crack easily under pressure and intimidation. I wasn't ready to talk to them but they were already here.

"Hi, Miss Bello, I'm Detective Walsh, and this is my partner, Detective Rowe. It's great to know that you're back home and safe." Detective Walsh said and I smiled politely at him.

"Yeah, over thirty-percent of missing women are never found." Detective Rowe informed and I nodded at her, not sure how to answer to a statistic I never asked for.

"So, we have a few questions for you as we assume you are the only witness of Jack Hedgeburg's murder." Detective Walsh stated, taking out a pen and a notepad.

"So, on July seventeen, you were at work at the café up until midnight?" Rowe questioned.

Swallowing the huge lump in my throat, I responded, "Yes."

"Tell us everything that happened after Jack Hedgeburg walked into the café." Walsh said.

"He walked in around eleven that night. There were two other persons in the café, a couple. Jack had ordered a black coffee and sat at the back, reading the newspaper. That's what he had been doing for an hour. The couple had left around 11:30, so it was just him and I."

"So, Jack just sat, drank coffee and read the paper?"

"Yeah?"

"He did nothing else? He didn't make a phone call? Used the restroom?"

"No."

"Did you think he was waiting on someone?"

"I don't know. He didn't seem nervous. He wasn't looking around as if expecting someone. He just sat quietly."

"Hmm." Walsh hummed, scribbling in his notepad, "Continue, please."

"At midnight, I told him I had to close the café and he offered to take me home."

"Did you know him?" Rowe questioned.

I shook my head and responded, "No. I guess he was just being kind. It was very late and I didn't have a ride. I accepted his offer and grabbed my things to leave. Before we could leave, a group of men came i-"

"How many?"

"About ten."

"Do you remember any of their faces?"

Yes. "No."

Rowe furrowed her brows slightly and pursed her lips in disbelief, "So, ten men came into your shop and you didn't look at their faces? Not even one?"

"They had guns in their hands. I was scared." I said, my heart racing as I forced myself to maintain eye contact. I could tell they didn't believe me.

"What happened next?"

"Another man came in. I assume he was the leader or something-"

"Did you see his face?"

Yes. "No, I'm sorry."

Rowe rolled her eyes, while rubbing her forehead in frustration, "Do you have any useful information at all? Jack was murdered in your café. You were the only one there. Eleven men came into the café. You must've seen at least two of their faces. Listen, we need some hardcore information here. This case has been going on for four months. Jack's family has lost someone they loved dearly and it would be great to bring some justice to them."