Chapter 27 - Moving on

"Is it really you?"

Tears of joy streamed down my face as I group-hugged my parents as tight as I could.

I laughed delightfully, "Of course it's really me. Oh, I've missed you guys so much."

They released me, both smiling widely as tears pooled in their eyes. They ushered me to the sofa where they started to bombard me with questions I was already expecting.

"Baby, what happened that night?" Mom began.

"It was late and the customer, Jack, had offered me a ride home. As we were about to leave, a group of men entered the shop and shot Jack. I managed to run away. I ran as fast as I could."

"Why didn't you come home?" Dad questioned.

"I...I was scared. I wasn't sure if the men saw my face. I didn't want to come back here and put you in trouble. So, I ran until I found someone and explained to him what happened. He offered to help me. He gave me a room in his house where I've been hiding for the past four months." The lies just kept slipping through my teeth with ease. I almost believed my story.

"Oh, thank God for him. We're so glad you're safe." Mom cooed, wiping away her tears.

"Why did you take so long to come back though? We almost thought...you...you were dead." Dad muttered, his voice laced with sadness.

"I wasn't sure if the men were searching for me so I wanted to stay away as long as possible."

Dad nodded in understanding and mom pulled me into another hug, gengly rocking me.

"Guys, please cheer up. I'm here now and I'm happy to be back home. I just want to forget about it."

"Of course. You must have been so traumatized."

"Your room is exactly how you left it. We didn't trouble anything. I guess a part of us believed you'd come back. Go take a bath and get some rest. We'll get started on dinner." Mom advised, sniffing slightly and releasing me.

I smiled sweetly at her before glancing at my father, "I love you guys."

"Oh, we love you too." They cooed in unison.

"Oh, and, the police advised us that if you should ever return, we should give them a call as you may be the only witness. The case is still open." Dad informed me.

My eyes widened in panic, "I have to talk to the police?"

"Yeah, it'll be fine, sweetie. All you have to do is just answer their questions. You'll be alright." Mom said.

I pretended to be fine, and forced a smile onto my face before heading to my room. My chest heaved eccentrically in panic. I couldn't talk to the police! What if they don't believe my story? What if my answers somehow gave them an idea of who really killed Jack?

Entering my bedroom, I glanced around with a smile. My parents were right. Everything was just as I had left it that day. Oh, how I missed my room. As I basked in the old memories I shared with my room, my panic gradually faded away.

I placed my phone on charge while I took a long shower. It was good to be back home, where I belonged.

I needed to talk to Carter. I had to. He owed me an explanation. I sat on my bed, staring at my phone that was filled with over a hundred missed calls and messages from my parents, other relatives, Maria, Carter, Genevieve and my boss.

It was important to let everyone know I was home and fine, but I just wanted to speak to Carter so badly. I was just nervous. I owed him an explanation too. Would he believe my story like my parents did? Only one way to find out. So, I sent him a text.