Chapter 25 - Tragedy

I thought about Carter everyday since that day. I was still heartbroken but seeing him made me miss him even more. I still loved him. I knew that was perhaps stupid of me but how do you just fall out of love with someone you've loved for five years?

I couldn't help but wonder if he still loved me too. I doubted that though. If he loved me, he wouldn't have cheated. I wanted an explanation. I wanted to know why he felt the need to become a dominant when he had me. Did he get bored? Didn't he find me sexy anymore? Was it even because of me?

I knew I owed him an explanation, too. I went missing and he found me at his friend's house almost three months later. Perhaps he was just as heartbroken too. I refused to believe he had really given up on me.

"Your tea is getting cold." Phoebe stated, drawing me back to earth.

I smiled sweetly at her and resumed drinking my chamomile tea. 

"What's bugging you, dear? You zoned out for almost five minutes."

"Um, I'm just thinking. Nothing serious."

"You know, I wanted to ask you something for a few weeks now but it really wasn't my business. I'd still like to ask you about it but I hope you won't think I'm being rude."

"It should be alright. Go on, you can ask me. I believe we're cool like that." I replied with a little laugh.

She laughed nervously and scratched the back of her neck, "Uh, I heard you and Mr. Kingman arguing about a month ago and it sounded pretty intense. I was just wondering if you were okay because I heard you telling him to kill you."

My eyes widened in surprise and my mouth suddenly felt dry. I cleared my throat awkwardly, thinking of how to answer. It wasn't rude of her to ask, I could tell she was genuinely concerned.

"Um, yeah, we had a little argument. At the time, I was very mad at him. But, we're okay now and I am okay as well."

She smiled kindly with a little nod, "Okay, just wanted to make sure."

Before I could reply, the pattering sound heavy footsteps plodded into the kitchen and I turned around to see a breathless Ronny.

"Phoebe, keep an eye on her. I gotta go!"

"Is everything okay?" Phoebe questioned.

"Boss was shot. I have to go."

My heart fell as my chest began to tighten, "What, where?"

"You'll know the details later, I've gotta go!" He breathed.

I jumped off the stool and stated, "Let me go with you."

"No. I can't let—"

"Ronny, please! I have to make sure he's alright." I begged.

He stared at me for a few seconds, contemplating it.

"Let her go with you." Phoebe added.

"Okay, come on!"

On the way to wherever Ares was, my heart wouldn't stop racing. I couldn't stop the anxious tapping of my feet and the biting of my fingernails.

I was so worried and apprehensive. A million questions kept rushing through my mind, giving me a migraine. How did he get shot? Was he alright or was he majorly injured? Was he losing a lot of blood or was already dead?

I really hoped he was okay. I hoped and prayed that he was alive, but Ronny was so distraught. He was driving so fast and it made me wonder if Ares was on the verge of dying and he knew it.