Chapter 26 - Back to life

I loved Ares. I couldn't believe how stupid I was. I must've looked even more stupid when I blurted it out to him, only to have him tell me straight to my face that he didn't feel the same way. Of course he didn't love me. He didn't know what love meant after Arielle. It was like he had forgotten the man he was before he met her. He became cruel and heartless.

I cried myself to sleep several nights after that day. The heartbreak I felt was so intense and I wondered how it was even possible to be in love with two men at once.

I hadn't seen Ares since that day and it had been a week. I knew he came home the next day though as had Phoebe informed me.

I was sick and tired of being depressed and heartbroken. I just wanted to go back to my old life.

The door squeaked open and, surprisingly, Ares walked in. I quickly combed through my hair with my fingers and licked my dry lips as I was certain I looked like shit. I hadn't had a shower in two days.

"Get up and pack your things. You're going home." He said, refusing to meet my eyes as he casted his gaze at the floor.

My heart jumped in surprise and I quickly sprung out of the bed. Did I hear him clearly?

"What?" I quizzed, just to make sure I had definitely heard him correctly.

"Pack your things, Kathrina. I don't have all day." He responded in annoyance.

I rolled my eyes at his hostility, "So, you're tired of me now, huh?"

"Yup."

Ouch, that hurt.

I was delighted and relieved to go back home. I couldn't wait to get back to my old life, but, a part of me felt sorrowful. I was leaving Ares, the man I'd unexpectedly and inexplicably fell in love with. I knew he treated me like crap and I deserved much better but I at least didn't want to leave like this. It seemed as if he hated me and I didn't want to leave on bad terms.

I glanced around the room, recalling all the depressing memories and the few nice memories too: like the first time Ares and I made love.

Did he really make love to me, though? He certainly didn't love me.

"Nothing here belongs to me. I'll just go." I muttered.

"Okay. Ronny is waiting for you in the kitchen. He'll take you home. And, remember, you tell no one about what happened that night with Jack. Also, you've never met me. Understood?"

The truth hurt like a bitch. It was obvious now: I really meant nothing to him. He had really grown tired of me after four months. Something was definitely wrong with me. It seemed I couldn't keep a man. Carter got bored with me, and, now, Ares grew tired of me.

"Yeah, I understand."

I took one final glance at him as I struggled to keep the threatening tears from falling.

"Bye." I mumbled and left the room.

He didn't even respond. He didn't care anyways.

"I'm going home." I told Phoebe as soon as I entered the kitchen.

"What do you mean you're going home?" She quizzed in confusion.

"This is not my home, Phoebe. It's Ares' home. I am just a visitor. I'm going back to my family." I explained.

I could tell she didn't quite understand, but she smiled sadly at me and pulled me into a tight, comforting hug, "Oh, honey. I am going to miss you."

"I will miss you too. You make the most amazing waffles."

She laughed sadly as she released me, "Take care of yourself."

"You too, Phoebe."

As soon as we were seated inside the car, Ronny tied a handkerchief over my eyes. I assumed he didn't want me to know how to get back to the house. I didn't care anyways, I wasn't interested in going back to that hell.

Forget, Ares! Fuck, Ares! I could live without him. I'd lived without him for twenty-one years. I'd be fine. 

My greatest concern at the moment was what I'd tell my parents. What if they believed I was dead? How would I even explain my four-months disappearance?

I tried to think of what to say to my parents  during the rest of the journey. About an hour later, the car came to a stop and Ronny removed my blindfold. I squinted my eyes several times so that they could get adjusted to the bright, Sunday sunshine.

I glanced out the window and a smile etched across my face. Everything looked the same: the house was still painted in light yellow and the flowers still adorned the driveway.

"Here is your purse and your phone." Ronny said, handing me my things.

"Thanks."

"Yeah, I know we don't really talk, but I do watch and observe a lot. You're a great woman, Kathrina, and I really wish my cousin could see that, too. He's a fool to let you go." He stated with a small smile.

I had never seen him smile before and it was the cutest thing ever.

"Thanks, Ronny. That means a lot. By the way, you should smile more often, it looks good on you."

He chuckled, shaking his head, "Alright, now get out."

"Take care of him for me." I requested with a sad smile.

He nodded, "Of course."

I hopped out of the vehicle and watched it disappear down the road.

With a deep breath, I turned around and stared at my house. I was back. I was home.  I'd be alright. I was going to be alright.

Vote, comment & Follow if you're enjoying the story! 😊