Prologue

Chapter One

I grew up with my parents. I was an only child and sometimes I wished I had another sibling. Wouldn't it be nice to have a sister or a brother to annoy and torment? I loved my parents and I appreciated everything they did for me, every sacrifice they made. My mother was a waitress and my father was a carpenter. We weren't necessarily poor but we couldn't afford all the luxuries we would've wanted to experience.

I worked at a small Cafe in town where I earned eight dollars per hour. It wasn't much but it helped to pay our bills.

My boyfriend was always there for me and God knew how much I loved and appreciated him for loving me for me. His name was Carter. We'd been together since junior year. He was my everything. I loved everything about him: his blue eyes that always made me feel like I was deep in the ocean, his messy and unkept hair. I loved running my fingers through the dark strands, it was soothing for me. He was sweet, kind and considerate. And that's all I ever wanted in a man.

I had a best friend too. Her name was Maria. She was my best friend since kindergarten. We were like sisters and I loved her a lot.

I didn't know what I would do if I ever lost Carter or Maria.

My coworker, Genevieve untied her apron with a tired sigh and hung it up in the small closet in the back room of the cafe. She flashed me a lazy smile and a wink.

"It's your turn to lock up tonight." Genevieve stated.

I smiled tiredly with a slight nod of my head, "Yeah."

"Be safe." She said, before walking towards the front of the cafe and through the front door.

I sighed for the tenth time for the night and walked towards the only customer left inside the cafe. He was sipping on a mug of coffee while reading the newspaper.

"Hello, sorry to disturb you, but it's now midnight and it's time for me to close the shop."

The man lowered the paper and looked up at me with pale, grey eyes. He then offered a kind smile and folded the paper in two, "Oh, I'm sorry, I got a little carried away reading the paper."

I laughed kindly with an understanding nod as he got up and dusted his pants.

He then glanced back at me and his brows furrowed in a worried manner, "My my, you are very young. You shouldn't be out alone on these streets at this time of the night. Do you have a ride home?"

I smiled sweetly at him and shook my head, "My best friend usually picks me up but she couldn't make it tonight."

"Oh, well, I have a car. Would you like a lift home?" He offered.

My smile widened in gratefulness and I eagerly nodded, "Yes, please! That would be so kind of you."

"Awesome, are you ready?"

"One moment, please, let me just get my bag." I stated and took up the empty mug he was drinking from.

I walked towards the counter of the shop to wash the mug and grab my bag.

I was totally used to getting rides from customers. There were countless times when Maria couldn't pick me up because she had something to do and customers would come to the rescue. Sometimes it slightly bothered me that many of the customers knew where I lived but what else could I do? Walk two miles home at twelve midnight?

"I'm ready!" I cheered with a wide smile, returning to the kind man with my bag and the shop keys in hand.

He returned my smile and gestured towards the door, "Let's go."

But before we could walk towards the door, it opened and a group of men entered the room, carrying...wait, are those guns?

Oh my God!

My heart began to race in panic when more men piled inside the cafe with scowls that could scare an innocent child. This was not good.

There were approximately ten men. Five of them stood on the right while the other half stood on the left, all staring at the kind man standing beside me who was staring back at them with wide, fearful eyes.

The door opened again and a tall, muscular man with shoulder length, black hair — tied in a manbun — entered the room with his hands intertwined behind his back. He was wearing a black shirt which tightly gripped his bulging biceps and hard abdomen. His toned thighs tightened his jeans and I gulped upon seeing a bulge in the center. His head was lowered and his gaze casted to the floor. His face was round and his clenched jaw seemed strong and muscular. My body shuddered as he slowly and menacingly walked further into the shop. Something about his aura screamed power, dominion and authority.

When he finally raised his head, his piercing, dark but green eyes fell upon the kind man beside me. The scowl on his face was deeper than my vaginal walls. Even though this man seemed definitely dangerous, he was quite hot. He was tall, muscular and.... beautiful. It was obvious he was the leader of this seemingly dangerous group of men.

My body continued to shiver as I watched the handsome man take short, slow steps towards the man beside me.

"Jack." The beautiful man stated as he stood in front of the customer.

The fearful man beside me dared not to raise his head to look at the dangerous man.

"H-hi, ho-how you doing?" Jack stuttered, his voice shaky and his body shivering in fear.

"Where is my money, Jack?" The man stated lowly and dangerously.

"Please give me some more time." Jack begged, clasping his hands together, still not daring to look at the handsome hunk.

"Fuck, Jack! I gave you enough time! My patience is fucking worn out!" The hunk of a man roared, scaring me even more.

I swallowed hard as I awaited what would happen next.

"Please." Jack begged and the hunk laughed humorlessly before taking a gun from one of the men standing behind him. He aimed the gun at Jack and my heart fell into the pit of my stomach. Oh no! No!

"You do not get any more time!" The hunk growled before he pulled the trigger and a loud bang sounded making me scream in freight as Jack's lifeless body fell to the ground with a thud.

The hunk's green eyes fell upon me and a sinister smirk curled his lips.

"Please, don't kill me." I managed to say and he raised a brow. I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye.

"How can I not kill you when you've witnessed everything?" He teased with an amused smirk.

I clasped my hands in a begging manner, tears pooling in my eyes. My chest heaved with heavy breaths and it was almost difficult for me to breathe. I really was not ready to die. I was not ready to leave my parents or Carter or Maria.

"I didn't see anything. Please don't kill me!"

"Wow, now you're just lying to me! You saw everything."

"Please, sir, please." I begged as rivers of tears fell from my tired eyes.

His smirk deepened until he looked even more evil, "How old are you?"

"Twenty-one."

"Perfect. Get on your knees."

Without hesitation, I fell onto my knees and cried, "Please, sir. Please spare my life."

He laughed humorlessly and ran a hand through his hair, "Nah, I don't think I want to kill you...just yet."

A breath of relief left my lips but then a huge lump formed in my throat...Did he say 'just yet'? Oh God! That meant if he wasn't going to kill me now, he was definitely going to kill me later. And, that was even worse.

"I think I may have something better in mind." He stated with an evil smirk, and with that, he raised his arm and slapped me hard across the face with the gun, and I fell into a pit of darkness.