forty-two. THE PREP PT3

FORTY-TWO. THE PREP PT3

Candles, books and papers surrounded Haeun as she and Ashley sat face to face.

Their eyes were closed as they focused on breathing.

"Your powers come from your emotions, mine come from spells and objects, though I have an infinity for witchcraft. Yours, however, have been buried by generations and generations of not using them, so you'll have to bring them to the surface."

"But I've already used it once."

"As a do or die situation, that's your subconscious protecting yourself. Our goal is to make it so that you can use it as you please, bend it to your will," Haeun was getting frustrated. She hated sitting here and doing nothing.

She needed to do something.

"This isn't working !" She burst out, standing up in an instant, the candles burning out as she got onto her feet.

Ashley sighed and went to relight the candles.

"That's the fourth time you got frustrated and put out the candles. At least we know you have powers,"

Haeun shot her a glare, hands on her hips and with a roll of her eyes, she ran her hands through her silky black hair.

"You can't force your powers out of you. It has to come out naturally, the more you force it, the more difficult it will be to actually get them out of you."

"Yeah, well I have less than 24 hours now and I need to get this down or I could potentially lose this fight and my title," Ashley scoffed at her friend.

"Haeun, look at you. Do you seriously think that that girl could beat you? Just with 48 hours of training?"

"It could be very much possible, I mean she got the freaking gene when it shouldn't be possible at all and then she had the confidence to challenge me. Something had to have changed because we all know our place in the family, it's unlikely that she's just jealous."

"Look," Ashley started. "You are possibly the strongest being to ever walk this earth, even without the sorcerer gift. You don't need it to win, I'm positive."

"Maybe in this one, but not in others," Haeun paused. "Like when Taehyung got hit by Barang protecting me while I should've used my own powers and stopped her. But I couldn't, because I didn't know how and that almost cost me one of the most important people in my life."

Ashley watched as her friend's face softened and eyes glazed over.

"Haeun, I get it," Ashley's hands held onto Haeun's. "You want to protect the ones close to you. But the second you try and protect everyone is the second you're prone to making mistakes. Your soulmates are strong, your family and the ones you love are even stronger. You don't have to protect everyone, they can protect themselves."

Haeun sighed and closed her eyes. When she opened them, she gave the woman a soft smile.

"Thank you."

"Anytime."

✵✵✵

As hours passed and Ashley had figured out that the Argyris gene had connections, not only to their vampire ancestry but to the sorcery part of their DNA.

The way Haeun's eyes glow a harsher red than the others in her family was due to the telepathic abilities found in her powers, a power that she mastered and one that even her father had not yet awakened.

Her powers allowed her to warp one's reality, trapping them in their own mind, with a reality that she manufactured.

The powers she inherits are based on energy, meaning she can manipulate almost anything to her will. It was just a matter of how.

She started simple.

Trying to lift a candle off the table and into the air.

A cloud of red surrounds the objects as she focuses enough so that it levitates.

It drops as soon as she stops concentrating.

And so does she.

Ashley is there to catch her but Haeun is out of breath and light-headed.

"That's enough for now. When Namjoon said using your abilities without knowing how to, would kill you. This is what he meant."

She had no urge to fight, so she nodded and let Ashley help her to the couch where she laid down.

✵✵✵

Three boys sat around the table, heads buried in their books while the other four went to the practice room.

"All this information is getting unsettling," Yoongi says, highlighting a line in the textbook.

"Tell me about it, they have information that not even we know about ourselves," Namjoon sighed, shutting the book closed.

"It's unsettling but if we were in their position, there's no doubt that we wouldn't do the same," Jin reasoned.

"Of course, but it's a little scary how many ways this family has created to take down supernaturals. Vampires, werewolves, the fae, pixies, mermaids and even sirens."

The three older members watched as Hoseok and the maknae line fought in the practice room.

"They're working a lot harder than us, we should try practicing," Yoongi sighed, standing up.

"Let's brush up on some of those skills before the fight tomorrow."

✵✵✵

12 hours

Haeun had moved on to trying to move larger objects, people, to be exact.

Ashley stood on top of a foam block so if she fell, she wouldn't get hurt.

Haeun focused as her hands started to cover themselves with a red smoke that matched the one that covered Ashleys' body.

Her body slowly started to lift from the ground and Haeun tried harder to lift her higher.

"You shouldn't have to push yourself, Haeun. Go as far as your body will let you," Ashley warned.

Haeun sighed and let her down.

"I'm not progressing fast enough," Haeun snarled. "10 hours and this is as far as I'm getting, lifting things up and down."

"You've already mastered reality manipulation as a child, along with mental manipulation as an assassin. You've progressed faster than any natural-born sorcerer in history."

"That's not good enough," Haeun sighed.

"Your powers are based on instinct. Right now, you're just learning how to use the basics, everything else will be learnt by fighting with instinct."

"That's even worse," She groaned as she rubbed her face. "That means there's no possible way on earth that I can practice."

"You said she thought she had the sorcerer gift, right?"

"Yeah."

"So all you need to do is to show her that you have it, simply use what you've learnt, the bare minimum may I add, and show her."

Haeun sighed.

Her mind running at a pace that even she could not keep up with.

She just had a feeling that something bad was going to happen.