thirty-five. GIFTED

THIRTY-FIVE. GIFTED

"The gifted? What do you mean?" Haeun's mother crossed her arms.

Silence filled the room as Barang waited for the girl to speak up.

"She means that he's going to have to drink my blood, and a lot of it."

The boys who were in the room knew immediately what this meant.

"Haeun- no," Jin spoke, reaching out to her.

"Jin, I have to. It's my father."

"You could die!" Jin pleaded.

"My father is already dying."

All eyes were on her. Solely on her.

"Can't we take turns? That way each of us won't lose too much blood," Hajun spoke. Haeun shook her head.

"I inherited the gift, the gift of sorcery. I'm the gifted and even if we could, Hajoon you're the oldest, you need to be the head of the house one day. Hajun, you have the gene but you're only a teenager and the best hacker we have. Hawon, the same goes for you. And Hayoon, you're a child. I'm the most reasonable choice..."

"We still have another option," Jimin spoke up.

"And what is that?" Hajoon asked.

"The original plan we had. We can still do it," Jimin looked into Haeun's eyes, eyes pleading with her.

"She'll die-"

"You'll die if you do this!" Yoongi interrupted, eyes lining with tears. He walked over, closer to her. "If you die, I don't think I can handle being away from you again."

Haeun's eyes softened.

"She's Namjoon's mother. I can't do that to him-"

"What's the difference between her and Taehyung's father? They both hurt others, they both are bad people," Jin added. "If Taehyung wakes up and finds out you're dead. We're all going to wish we were dead as well."

"I'm not going to die," Haeun tried to comfort the boys. "You have to trust me."

Yoongi held her in his arms, holding tightly. Haeun could hear his sniffles.

"I'm Syrin Haeun Argyris. I tougher than I let on, and I know you know that."

✵✵✵

The medical staff got everything ready at the request of Jin and the suggestion of Barang.

Haeun stood at the bedside of her father's bed, calming her nerves. She knew what she was about to do was dangerous and painful, incredibly painful.

Family and staff filled the room.

Haeun took a deep breath before lifting her sleeve up, and before the doctors reversed the anesthesia, the door opened.

"Haeun, don't do this," Namjoon begged, walking right towards the girl. "You have another option, take it, this isn't worth it."

"Saving my dad's life isn't worth it?"

"No! Using your life instead of the person responsible. You could die," Namjoon's eye filled with tears as he held onto her.

"Right now, you're not thinking straight. You don't want your mother gone, I know that for a fact. Namjoon, I won't die. I'm stronger than you know, I promise I'll be okay."