forty-four. FAMILY AFFAIR

FORTY-FOUR. FAMILY AFFAIR

She should've known.

She really should've known.

The fact that her cousin somehow got the 'gene' was already suspicious, then challenging Haeun for the mistress position, that should've given her plans away in an instant.

But she was stupid, in over her head, she underestimated Edith.

Stupid. Stupid.

Now, they were surrounded.

And she couldn't help but think it was her fault.

✵✵✵

Jungkook was winning, obviously, but the head family was on edge. Watching James, his every move, making sure he didn't actually transform into a half-blood.

"I spoke with all of our vampire assassins," Haneul spoke, walking back into the arena, standing beside his daughter- his second in command.

"And?" She asked, fully knowing that her soulmates were listening.

"They all have alibis, strong ones, They didn't do it."

Haeun inhaled sharply, biting the inside of her lips. Brows furrow, frustration written on her face.

"This doesn't help us at all."

"There's nothing we can do," He said calmly. "They must've gotten it from an outside source.:

"'Outside source'?" She questioned her dad. "Last time I checked outside the manor walls, there was an underlying war between supernaturals and humans, why would a vampire help one?"

Haneul stood there, eyes glazed over as he thought before his face changed, Lips parting slightly, eyes widening ever so noticeably.

"Vampires might be using new-bloods."

Her eyes widened.

"You think vampires are taking willing humans and turning them days before they plan to use them? Using newly turned vampires- who are immensely strong to do their dirty work? Is that even legal?" She says, turning to Namjoon.

"Unless the participants aren't willing, it's completely legal... it's an unfortunate loophole."

"This is getting worse and worse by the second."

"Our intelligence unit got some details about humans going into vampire territory a few days ago, we didn't think much of it, but it could be connected now," Her father spoke, arms crossed, eyes narrowing at his brother.

"Does this not break Argyris house rules?" Jin asked, watching her drop her shoulders and sigh.

"I don't think the family rules ever considered the possibility that we would be turned into half-bloods to win a fight, we just weren't raised like that. Our pride is immensely important to us, especially in a fight. Doing something like this... it's embarrassing."

"So we can't do anything?" Hayoon asked his sister, little hands holding onto her blazer coat, concerned for his brother-in-law.

"Jungkook is strong, you know that Hayoon," Haeun tried to comfort, but it seemed to do nothing as his eyes were trained on the muscle bunny fighting in the arena, arms and legs blocking the attacks of James, sneaking a few of his own hits too.

"Hey," Jimin whispered, crouching down to the little boy's height. "Jungkook is a lot stronger than he looks, alright? He almost beat your big sister, isn't that amazing?"