Chapter 44: The Big Score

Guard: Alright, why's there five of you, and one on the back of the truck?

Me: Extra support, and the fact there's only two seats in each truck. I know there's empty room in the back of these things, but I figure I should get used to holding onto the back when it does get packed with the gold.

Guard: It's understandable, just unconventional.

Me: Yeah, the ledge I need to hang on is very small. You'd think there'd be a handle on the back of these things like garbage trucks would have, but they don't. Hey, if the stunt double of Chris Pratt can do it, so can I.

Guard: I don't think Pratt had a double.

Zero: I'd doubt that thought of yours, Shade. Right now, just focus on keeping your head straight as a knife's edge.

Me: Those can bend, you know?

Ivan: I think he means as soon as you buy the butcher's block.

Me: I guess so. But all I'm saying is that steel can bend. And it's rather flexible, considering you can bend a rifle barrel 180 degrees and STILL fire it, depending on how long the barrel is and how abrupt you bend it.

Guard: Go on through. And Shade, was it?

Me: Yessir.

Guard: I can tell these guys get on your nerves.

Me: Oh we get on each other's nerves all the time. All that matters is how we deal with it.

Guard: Alrighty. Go on through. Bay 5. The big man's waiting for you. Matter of fact he's been waiting for a good five or so minutes.

Me: Understood. Hey, Zero. Let's get this show on the damn road.

Zero: Alright alright. I shut off the engine while we were here. I thought it would take longer than the three minutes we've been here. Just got to... damn it. I think the shifter broke.

Me: Let me see it.

I hopped off the back of the truck and walked right alongside his door. I grabbed the top of the door framing and hoisted myself up just enough to see what he was doing.

Me: Brake, then clutch, THEN shift into first.

The truck jerked forward and tossed me right back onto the asphalt ground. I just growled and hopped on the back of the truck as Zero started driving again. Not even twenty seconds passed, and I hopped back off onto the cement of the loading bay. I aimed my shotgun at the concrete and pulled the chamber back, noting that it could hold well over three shots.

Me: That seems a bit strange. This thing holds eight or nine shots. Way more than my old one.

Sam: Hey, it's a military grade shotgun. What would you think it would hold?

Me: Honestly, about as much as any regular old shotgun.

Ivan: I'm stuck with the AK, you dick.

Spike: At least you don't have the P90.

Sam: I got a rock.

??: Ladies, please control your period temper.

I could tell it was someone of high maintenance. We all turned and looked at whoever spoke. Hey, crimson wolf in a tuxedo, even with a little monocle. How more fancy, not to mention professional, can you get?

??: Greetings, my... group of five that are helping me- you-you know what? Why is there five of you?

Zero: Look, we're just here to transport the gold. I understand that you think it's taboo that there's five of us, not four, but I assure you, we'd need every hand. Besides, the girl can't work.