Chapter 6: The Abandoned Amusement Pitstop

Meggy: This place has been abandoned for years. Let's go see it.

Me: It's an old amusement park, on the edge of town, at nightfall. What's better than the two of us catching up on shit at an abandoned amusement park?

Meggy: Look. Would you rather have the bottle talk, or your feelings talk?

Me: Well, my feelings, of course. Not at some place that's been abandoned for years.

Meggy: Shove it. Here's the gates.

I tried pushing on the metal gate, but to no avail.

Me: Damn it. Rusted shut.

Meggy: Put the bottle down and punch it.

I set the Corona down on the pavement and pushed on the gate again, this time with both my hands and my tail. It squeaked open, but only a little bit.

Me: Phew. Fucking Bull-piss.

Meggy: Kick it down.

I kicked it with all my strength. It opened more.

Me: Help?

Meggy: Fine.

She set her scotch on the ground and stood next to me, our hands on the gate.

Me: Good?

Meggy: On Three. One. Two. Three.

We pushed with all our force, and the gate door opened with the harshest squealing I ever heard. It made me fall to my knees and clutch my ears, it hurt that much to hear.

Me: MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Meggy: Sorry.

Me: It's fine. Just... my ears are sensitive now. Ow.

I picked myself and the bottles up from the pavement and handed the scotch to Meggy. She took it from me and stepped through the gate. I followed her and shut the damn rusted thing, and it shuts way quieter than opening it.

We headed down a long, empty concrete walkway that led to a map of the park.

Me: Where to?

Meggy: This place had bad luck during operation.

She pointed at the Ferris wheel on the map.

Meggy: A little boy fell 30 feet to his death while riding the wheel. Some say he was pushed overboard. Had to be shut down for a few days for a thorough inspection of it. The cart he fell from, especially. Nothing was wrong with it, so they ruled it as child endangerment. There was a lawsuit filed against the park owners, but camera footage showed that the kid wasn't obeying his mother.

Me: Damn. What happened to the lawsuit?

Meggy: The park was said to close it down entirely. That, or install safety harnesses.

Me: Harnesses, I'm guessing?

Meggy: With such a popular attraction, why would they want to close it down?

She tapped on the Rollercoaster. It had a few loops and corkscrews in it, from what I could see.

Meggy: Not five years ago, the coaster was still a huge hit. Perfect for thrill seekers who wanted to have a good time. Unfortunately, on an evening like now, one of the rear cars derailed, sending seven people flying, thirty feet away from the framing. Two dead, the rest taken to hospital.

Me: Another lawsuit?

Meggy: Yeah. Thorough inspection showed that the cart wasn't properly attached to the rest of the train, and the cable snapped. It was called to be either shut down entirely, or a replacement cart and steady testing would be constantly enforced.