Chapter Four

Sky's POV
-------------
The next day went by quickly. For supper Sam took me to the Green Dragon where we were met by Merry, Pippin, and Frodo. I had brought my bag along so I could sneak out why they weren't watching for tonight was the night I was leaving. Sam would definitely stop me if he knew.
"What's wrong, Sky? You look like a nervous wreck,"Pippin questioned.
"Nothing Pip,"I assured. He was about to question me farther but luckily Rosie came with are food.
"A glass water, three ales, and four chicken plates,"she informed. I nodded telling her she was correct then took the water and chicken she handed my way.
"Thank you,"I said. Soon everyone had their food and a friendly conversation was going on between bites of food. Unlike the boys I savored each bite I took. After I finished I decided to have a breath of fresh air. From outside I could hear the cheerful voices of Merry and Pippin singing a happy tune. After a while the boys finally walked outside. I quickly made an excuse to go to Frodo's house then said goodbye to Merry and Pippin. Frodo and I kept a merry conversation going until we arrived at Bag End. All the candles were out so inside it was pitch black. It looked quiet creepy from where I stood. Obviously Frodo had the same opinion because he had scared look on his face. He silently opened the door and together we tiptoed inside. We wandered down the dark hallway and into the sitting room. All of the sudden Gandalf appeared out of the darkness. I jumped backwards.
"Is it secret? Is it safe?"Gandalf questioned nervously. Frodo looked at me a bit scared then back at Gandalf. Gandalf nodded then Frodo walked over to a chest. He dogged through it for a few seconds until he pulled out a white envelope.
"Ha!"he said proudly holding it up so Gandalf could see it. Gandalf quickly grabbed the envelope out of Frodo's hand then threw it into the fire. He waited a few seconds then grabbed a pair of tongs. He quietly lifted a shiny golden ring out of the fire. I knew that this was the great evil Gandalf had spoke of in the letter. This glowing golden ring had an abundance of power around it. Luckily I was not drawn to it as some others would be. I did not wish to possess it.
"Hold out your hand Frodo. It quite cool,"he instructed. I watched as Gandalf dropped the ring into his hand.
"What can you see? Can you see anything?"Gandalf questioned. Frodo examined the ring closely turning in his hand slowly.
"Nothing. There's nothing,"he started then he squinted a bit and said,"Wait, there are markings. It some form of Elvish. I can't read it." He frowned.
"There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here,"Gandalf informed.
"Mordor!"Frodo said surprised.
"In common tongue it says:
One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to lead them all,
And in darkness bind them,"Gandalf went on,"This is the One Ring. Forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fire of Mount Doom. Taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself."
"Bilbo found it. In Gollum's cave,"Frodo mumbled.
"Yes for sixty years the Ring lay quiet in Bilbo's keeping prolonging his life. Delaying old age. But no longer Frodo. Evil is stirring in Mordor. The Ring has awoken. It's heard its master's call,"Gandalf added.
"But he was destroyed. Sauron was destroyed,"whimpered Frodo looking at Gandalf for confirmation. All of the sudden I heard whispering. My gaze jolted toward the ring.
"No Frodo. The spirit of Sauron endured. His life force is bound to the Ring and the Ring survived. Sauron has returned. His orcs have multiplied. His fortress at Barad-Dur is rebuilt in the land of Mordor. Sauron needs only the Ring to cover all the lands of a second darkness. He is seeking it, seeking it. All his thoughts are bent on it. The Ring yearns above all else to return to the hand of its master. They are one, the Ring and the Dark Lord. Frodo, he must never find it,"Gandalf informs sadly.
"Alright. We put it away. We must never speak of it again. No one knows it's here. Do they?"Frodo assured himself. Gandalf straight face turned into a deep frown.
"Do they?"he questioned.
"There is one other who knew Bilbo had the Ring. I looked everywhere for the creature Gollum but the enemy found him first. Amidst the endless screams and insane babble they discerned two words: Shire. Baggins,"Gandalf stated.
"Shire! Baggins! But that will lead them here!"he squeaked,"Take it Gandalf!" He was as pale as a ghost.
"No Frodo,"Gandalf argued.
"You must take it!"he cried shoving it toward Gandalf.
"You cannot offer me this Ring,"he informed him pushing Frodo's hand away.
"I'm giving it to you!"Frodo insisted.
"Don't tempt me Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand Frodo I would use this Ring from a desire to do good. But through me it would wield a power to great and powerful to imagine,"he told Frodo.
"But it can't stay in the Shire!"Frodo cried.
"No! No it can't,"Gandalf agreed.
"What must I do?"Frodo asked willingly.
"You must leave and leave quickly. Skylar will come with you,"he instructed while helping Frodo gather his stuff.
"Where? Where do we go?"Frodo questioned throwing clothes and food into his sack.
"Get out of here. Make for the village of Bree.
"Bree. What about you?"
"I will be waiting for you. At the inn of the Prancing Pony."
And will the Ring be safe there?" Frodo was now putting on his cloak and shouldering his sack.
"Frodo. I don't have any answers. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise and powerful. Trust me Frodo he'll know what to do. You'll have to leave the name Baggins behind you. For that name is not safe outside the Shire."
I quickly got out my cloak, dagger, bow, and quiver then started to prepare myself. After I was ready I grabbed my map then shouldered my sack. I walked over to where Frodo was preparing himself.
"We can cut across country easily enough."
Frodo stuffed the ring in his pocket and grabbed his walking stick. Gandalf looked us over for a few seconds then smiled.
"My dear Frodo and Skylar. Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about them in a month and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you."
Frodo smiled back at him. Suddenly I hear something outside. I quickly pulled out my dagger.
"Get down,"Gandalf ordered Frodo. Gandalf stuck his staff through the window and hit the mysterious thing. I heard a grunt. Gandalf then reached through the window, pulled Sam out of the bushes, and threw him in the table.
"Confound you Samwise Gamgee! Have you been eavesdropping?"he questioned.
"I haven't been dropping no eaves. Sir honest. I just was cutting the grass under the window waiting for Sky to come outside. If you follow me,"Sam squeaked.
"A little late for cutting the verge don't you think?"Gandalf told him.
"I heard raised voices,"Sam said.
"What did you hear? Speak!"Gandalf pressed. By this time I was giggling and Frodo was smiling.
"Nothing important, sir. That is I heard a good deal about a ring and a dark lord and something about the end of the world. Please Mr. Gandalf, please don't hurt me. Don't turn me into anything........unnatural,"begged Sam.
"No? Perhaps not. I've thought of a better use for you,"replied Gandalf.