Chapter One

Dream
I was five years old again and reliving my worst nightmare. My dad and mom,
Delvin and Anna Hopesinger, decided to take me on an adventure. I had no friends where I lived and was an only child. My parents spoiled me rotten but not enough to make me a brat. I had the biggest imagination only because I was alone. Some days I would be fighting orcs and another day I would be visiting elves or even other hobbits. I always found away to use my time (which I had an abundance of).
"Skylar, hurry up honey. We're almost there,"Momma yelled back at me.
"Mommy can I hold the picnic basket,"I begged running as fast as my little legs and hobbit feet will take me. When I finally caught up with her she passed me the basket and warned,"Be careful, sweetie, don't shake the basket you'll squash the sandwiches."
"Yes momma,"I replied happily as I skipped pass them. Finally we made it to a large meadow full of dandelions. It had a small brook running through the middle of it. I stopped to admire the beauty of that moment.
"I'm going to call this the Wishing Field,"I announced. I turned around right as an arrow pierced my father's side. I stood there in shock as my father fell to the ground. I started to run toward them but something grabbed my hair and lifted me up into the air. I let out a scream. I could feel pain pulsing through my body.
"We'll let her go so she can suffer for the rest of her life. She probably die anyway but let her have a taste of what happens when people run into us,"a gruff voice said. I watched as two nasty looking creatures step forward with bow drawn and aimed at my parents' hearts. Time seemed to slow as the waited to release their arrows. Tears flowed freely down my face and blurred my vision. I heard the arrows whizzing through the air. The Orc who was holding me dropped me and walked away with his friends laughing his heart out. I crawled over to where my parents lay and laid down beside them.
"Don't worry mommy. Don't worry daddy. I'll stay with y'all,"I whimpered still in shock. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. When morning came I tried to rouse them from their sleep but they wouldn't wake up.
"Wake up momma! Wake up daddy!"I begged them. Tears ran down my face.
"It not funny anymore! Please wake up,"I screamed but still they wouldn't budge. Then I realized that they were not going to wake up. They were dead. I bent down over my mother and unfastened the silver dragon necklace that hung around her neck. I quickly placed it around my neck. I couldn't keep my tears back any longer and doubled over.
"No y'all have to live you can't be dead! Y'all have to take care of me and love me! I want be the same without you! DON'T LEAVE ME!"
End of Dream
I woke startled tears streaming down my face. Sam came running into my room.
"Sky, are you okay? Did you have another nightmare?"he asked worriedly. I nodded in reply. He embraced me in hug running his hands over the back of my head. After I finished mourning over my dead parents I wandered around in the woods. Gandalf the Grey found me lying by a tree starving to death. He took me to the Shire which I found absolutely amazing. He said that if I just ask around I was sure to find a home. I asked around and finally the Gamgees took me in. Samwise and I became good friends and I started calling him my brother for I had never had a brother. I finally gave into to calling Gaffer "Pa". Soon I grew up meeting new friends along the way. One day Sam introduced me to his friends Frodo, Perigrin, and Meriadoc (or Pippin and Merry for short). Soon I found out that I was the same age as Pip. We all became good friends (who got into a lot of trouble).
Sam's POV
I slowly let go of Sky but I kept stroking her beautiful brown curly hair. Then I lowered my hand to rest upon her shoulder. I looked into her dark green eyes and saw pain. I reached up and wiped away her tears.
"Sky would you like to help me in Bilbo's garden today?"I asked her. I watched as her sad face transformed into a big grin that reach from ear to ear. I smiled back at her. I don't understand why she gets so happy about gardens.
" Yes I'd love to,"she replied happily. I left her alone to get dressed and waited for her in the kitchen. When she was finished I handed her an apple and together we strolled up to Bag End. While we were walking I tried to spark a little conversation.
"Tonight is Bilbo's party. What are you going to wear?"I asked.
"Not a dress. I hate dresses,"she said. One thing about Sky is that she never ever wears dress. She is not like the other girls who are prissy and all about getting the boys to like them. She is a tomboy. She always wears pants and a t-shirt or blouse.
"I am so excited. I love parties,"she squealed in glee.
"I am too,"I commented happily. When we finally arrived at Bilbo's house we saw that Frodo was sitting on the porch step. He had just nailed a sign on the front gate that read: "No admittance except on party business."Frodo waved at us.
"Sam, Bilbo said you can have the day off,"Frodo said cheerfully.
"But Mister Frodo we're already here,"I complained.
"If you want you could come with me and watch out for Gandalf. I turned to see Sky jump at the name Gandalf.
"I would be delighted,"she replied acting as if she had just been invited to dine with a king. It amazed me how much imagination she had.
"I'll pass,"I replied.
"Then with that said let me escort you to your destination,"he said in a kingly voice taking her hand. She giggle at him trying to be a king or knight. Frodo was about to walk off with her but she darted toward the woods. I laughed at him as he stood there in shock then ran after her yelling for her to slow down. I had other more important things to do than waiting for wizards.
Sky's POV
When I finally made it to the edge of the woods I sat down in front of a tree to catch my breath and to wait for Frodo. Suddenly two hobbit jumped out from behind a tree and made me scream. I jumped up and ran behind a tree. I could hear the hobbits laughing and slowly walked out from behind the tree embarrassed. I saw Merry and Pippin laughing so hard that they both fell to ground. I walked up to them and watched them try to control their laughter. When they finally stopped laughing I helped them up to their feet them gave them an aggravated look. Their smiles transformed into ashamed looks.
"We're sorry, Sky,"Merry mumbled. A grinned at them.
"I'll just have to remember that I owe y'all one,"I said. I watched as scared looks crossed their faces as they remember the pranks I've played on them. One time I place a egg on their seats at the Green Dragon and when they sat down well lets just say they had to change their pants. I smiled at them.
"What are y'all doing today besides going to the party?"I asked.
"We're just playing around. Would you like to join us?"Pippin answered.
"Well I told Frodo that I would help him watch for Gandalf, but I have nothing to do after that,"I replied.
"Oh,"he grumbled.
"Don't worry, Pip. I'm not going to disappear,"I joked. He mumbled something under his breath and rolled his eyes.
"I'm sure it won't take that long, Pip,"Merry said.
"You could even come with me,"I added. He nodded but Merry kicked his foot which made him shake his head.
"No thank you,"he replied. I nodded then skipped off to find Frodo. When I found him I just sat down beside him.
"What took you so long?"he asked a bit annoyed.
"Im sorry. I was delayed by too maniacs who are going pay for what they did,"I replied. He laughed.
"What did they do this time?"he questioned.
"They scared me to death," I replied.
"And that's all,"he joked.
"No than they tried to burn me at the stake,"I replied sarcastically. I turned to see him staring at me but he quickly averted his gaze to the ground. We waited there longer than I had expected. Finally we heard a horse and wagon coming up the road. Frodo and I quickly stood up and ran toward the road. Frodo jumped onto the wagon and I followed his lead. Gandalf turn to look who had intruded his wagon.
"Your late,"Frodo said.
"I wizard is never late! Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means too,"Gandalf retorted him. I watched as Frodo's serious face turned to a smile. Gandalf smiled back then they both started laughing.
"It wonderful to see you Gandalf,"Frodo said hugging Gandalf.
"You didn't think I'd miss your Uncle Bilbo's birthday?"he questioned staring Frodo in the eyes. When he noticed me a big grin spread across his face.
"Skylar Hopesinger, it has been awhile,"he said.
"Gandalf,"I squealed embracing him in a big bear hug.
"It hasn't been that long. You come to everyone of my birthday parties,"I reminded him.
"And I wouldn't miss a single one of them,"he added. I giggled.
"No I'm sure you wouldn't,"I replied.
"I hope you still have a taste for adventure because I was hoping you would accompany me to Bree and maybe even Rivendell,"he said.
"Oh Gandalf I would be delighted!"I squealed in glee.
"I thought so,"he said. As we entered the Shire little hobbit children started chasing the wagon wanting to see one of his special fireworks. He pretended he didn't notice them and right when they thought he didn't care for them he shot off a firework. The children cheered which made the Sacksville Bagginses roll their eyes. I giggled at them then I jumped out of the wagon and yelled,"See ya later Gandalf." He waved in reply. I then ran back to the house to prepare for the party.