Chapter Eight

-Dream-
I was inside the small little cottage we owned licking batter out of one of my mom's bowl. The sweet smell of a baking cake came from the large black oven. When I had gotten every last lick that I could, I laid the bowl back on the table then walked over to where my mom and dad were sitting. They smiled at me. I walked toward them but something grabbed my hair and pulled me back. The room turned into a dandelion field and my father fell to his knees. Their smiles disappeared. Tears streamed down my mother's face. I watched as two orcs came forward. Uncontrollable tears blurred my eyes. I heard the twang of the bows and I knew it was over.
-End of Dream-
I woke up gasping for breath. Tears were streaming down my face.
"Are you okay?"I heard a voice say. It was Strider. He was wide awake sitting by the fire.
"I guess now you know that this fierce girl is not as brave as she seems. She's more frightened then a kitten in a thunderstorm,"I said walking over and sitting in one of the several chair by the fire.
"Every brave person has a fear. If they weren't afraid of something then how would they be brave. A brave person faces their fears because if you have no fears to face how can you be called brave,"he answered wisely.
"But what happens if you can't face your fear? What if you run and hide? What if you tell no one?"I questioned.
"The best thing is to face your fears head on. To tell someone and get it off your chest. Someone who cares then together you can pick your fears up and throw them away,"he replied.
"What if you don't want to burden anyone with the pains you suffer? What if you don't want to ruin a cheerful place with the nightmares that haunt your dreams? What happens then?"I asked.
"All good things must come to an end. Right now evil creeps from dark places wishing to destroy happiness. Sometimes evil comes and teaches us lessons we would never learn without it. The catch is that even in the worse situations good always wins. Even in the most troubling times there will always be a happily ever after. People try to make tales that have no happy ending, but those stories, they're full of lies. There is never an unhappy ending. If we share our deepest fears with the world then people will stand up and help us carry them. Sometimes I imagine that the whole world shared their fears with each other and together we carried each others fears,"he said softly.
"You are a very wise man,"I complemented,"Thank you for helping me." He nodded then stared back into the fire.
"Someday, Skylar, you will become a hero. A hero that saves the fate of men. Yes, you will sacrifice. And yes it might hurt, but remember to stay strong, hang on to hope, even if there is only a tiny string of it left. There is always hope. It may not be visible at the moment you need it but its there so never give up,"he told me. His words were clear and full of truth though I wasn't sure if I really could fight my fears. Fight the thing that has haunted me since I was little. The thing that beat me to pulp. That made me into its slave. That snatched the hope that I might be able to have a peaceful sleep and stop hiding such a horrible secret under a fake smile. The thing the chased me to the darkest corners of my life and still slashed out at me. Fear is not an easy thing to stand up to or destroy. It's hard enough to carry it. It's like carry twenty elephant on my back. The instructions seem so simple yet they feel impossible. How can I be the hero he had just explained if I have this much trouble with fear? How can I see that far off light called hope when my fear is blinding me? All I was doing was getting myself more confused. If he really things I can save the fate of men the he must be pretty dumb because I can't even save myself from fear. Soon I was having trouble holding my eyes open so I headed back to bed. I fell asleep easily even with all the thoughts that were pushing their way to the surface trying to be noticed.