Chapter Twenty-one

Pippin's POV

The dwarf city was beautiful, but that is not what held my gaze. It was Skylar. She had the brightest smile at the moment and happiness was written all over her face. The silver light sparkled in her dreamy eyes. I smiled back.

"Well there's an eye opener, no mistake," Sam said with a huff. Sky nodded laying her head on Sam's shoulder. Gandalf started walking again and of course we followed close behind him. Ahead of us was a large door way. Gimli rushed ahead.

"Gimli!!!" Gandalf shouted. We hurried after him. He entered another small chamber. Inside there was a large stone tomb that sat in the middle of the room. From a small window at the top of the room, came a little shaft of sunlight.

"No...no...oh, no," Gimli cried falling down at the front of the grave. Gandalf walked up behind him.

"'Here lies Balin, son of Fudin, Lord of Moria.' He is dead, then. It's as I had feared," he mumbled bowing his head in show of respect. Looking around, he found a skeleton with a book in his arms. He slowly took the book and opened it

"They have taken the Bridge and the second hall: we have barred the gates...but cannot hold them for long...the ground shakes...drums in the deep...we cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. Will no- one save us? They are coming," the wizard read. Fear rushed up within me and I began to back up. I ran into a well knocking the skull of a dead dwarf down it. The mines echoed with the clanging of the skull. I held my breath. Everyone turned toward me speechless as they listened to the slowly fading sounds. Gandalf's solemnness changed to anger.

"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" he raged. I bowed my head shamefully. Skylar walked over to me and threw her arm around my shoulder.

"He'll be fine," she whispered in my ear. I smiled lightly. She was about to say something else, but the silent sound of drums. Stopped her. Fear rushed into her features.

"That doesn't sound friendly," she mumbled. I nodded pulling her closer. Horns sounded and more drumming answered.

"Mr. Frodo!" Sam cried staring at Frodo's now glowing sheath. Sky gasped and pulled her dagger from her sheath. I pulled my small sword out.

"Orcs!" Legolas seethed. Aragorn turned toward us.

"Get back! Stay close to Gandalf!" he ordered before helping Boromir bar the door.

"They have a cave troll!" Boromir gasped. Gimli found two rusty axes lying on the floor and picked them up.

"Let them come! There is one Dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath!" he cried bravely. In a moment's notice, the battle began. It started with a loud 'boom' as the door was broke down then the wild screams of the enemy rushing in proceeded with loud tinkling chains of the cave troll. I backed up against Sam. The others did something of the same sort creating a small ring of hobbits. We were safe for now.

Sky's POV

A goblin charged toward me. I thrusted my sword into his chest. He let out a squeal and fell to the ground. I pulled my sword out of his crumbled body.

"I'm sorry, but you were trying to kill me first," I mumbled. Merry let out a small laugh at my words.

"Sky, I think they were made to kill," he grinned. I frowned then slashed at another goblin. Green blood splattered as my sword pierce his hide. I groaned stepping over his body.

"Aragorn! Aragorn!" Frodo screams echoed above the battle. I started to slash my way through hoping to reach him in time. I watched as Frodo was lifted up into the air and threw against a wall the large spear stuck in his chest. I gasped and charged at the cave troll. I slice at the nasty creature's legs trying to annoy him enough to make him leave Frodo alone. It worked. He turned toward me with a low growl.

"Never, ever hurt my friends," I screamed stab pulling out my bow and shooting him in the stomach. He groaned. I continued shooting him then when I had wasted most of my arrows I started slashing at his legs. He swung his arm at me, yet missed. This angered him even more. He started whipping his chain around. One single arrow flew across the room piercing through the troll's head and sending him tumbling toward the ground, dead. I smiled happily.

"Thank you," I shouted back at Legolas. He smiled.

"No problem," he shouted. I turned to Frodo who was standing in the corner. Suddenly he fell to the ground. I ran toward him.

"Frodo!" I screamed. Bending down I remove the spear from his chest. The others gather behind me. Frodo coughed then gasped for breath.

"He's alive!" Sam exclaimed. Frodo's eyes fluttered open.

"I'm alright. I'm not hurt," he assured.

"You should be dead. That spear would've skewered a wild boar!" Aragorn mused.

"I think there's more to this hobbit than meets the eye," Gandalf chimed. Frodo unbuttoned his shirt revealing a suit of shiny armor. I gasped.

"Mithril! You are full of surprises, Master Baggins," Gimli chirped. The drums began to sound in the distance.

"To the bridge of Khazad-dum!" Gandalf ordered. We rushed from the room and back into the great hall. Please let us make it out, please, I thought. I grabbed hold of Pippin's hand. We are going to make it out. We are!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, my fellow readers, I must ask a hard question. I have came to the conclusion that this book is going to be extremely long. So I was wondering if y'all would like me to split this story into two parts? I already have a name for it (Never Fear). I will allow it to be y'all's choice so good luck O.o   ~.~