(51) Old fears [Adrien's POV]

I press my mouth to hers, once more forcing air into her lungs, as I pull away to repeat the compression. With the first force, she begins to cough, water spouting out of her mouth.

She keeps coughing up water and I fall back as relief floods me. She's alive.

I feel a towel being placed on my shoulders, I look up and my eyes land on Sophia who smiles at me. This bitch. Before I get the chance to open my mouth Dylan clasps my shoulder, causing me to stop. I look up to him, shooting him a death glare, but he's right, now's not the time.

But I will make this witch pay for it.

"Oh god, Ellie," Arianna cries.

"I-I'm... fine," she chokes as she tries to push herself up but grunts in pain.

Shit. Her ribs. I hope I didn't fracture anything. But she's awake, that's what matters the most.

Ari gasps with worry, her voice trembles as she calls out, "El."

Eleanor coughs but waves her hand in dismissively, muttering, "Fine."

I push my still trembling hand through my hair.

Ri looks at me. "Her room," she whispers and I nod. She gets to her feet, wiping away the tears.

I snake my arms behind her neck and the back of her knees and stand up, pressing her close to myself, the towel on my shoulder falls off to the floor, but I can't care less about it.

"I-I can wa-walk," she complains between the fits of her cough, trying to wiggle and free herself from my grasp but winces, squeezing her eyes shut and pressing her lips to a thin line and giving in. She coughs and wraps her arm around herself, wincing again.

I tighten my hold on her, as I will my legs to stop trembling. She's here with me, and conscious. I remind myself as I begin to take slow and steady steps to make minimal movements. I don't want to cause her more pain.

With caution I descend the steps, glancing down at her pale features. Her head is resting on my bare chest, her eyes fluttered shut, her long eyelashes are sticking together, and her lips are apart as she draws in slow breaths.

She's fine. I remind myself again, but my body doesn't stop trembling. I can't shake off the fear.

Arianna has already set towels on her bed and I carefully lower Eleanor on it. She sits and flinches.

"Take a warm shower, I'll stay here with her. Go," Arianna demands pushing me away.

I nod as I gaze at Eleanor. Her arm is wrapped around herself, and with her other hand, she rubs her temple. I don't want to leave her, but Arianna's pointed stare doesn't leave a space for argument. She's right though, I can't get sick.

So I stride out of the room and rush to my own cabin, shutting the door behind myself before heading taking off my remaining clothing, and stepping into the shower.

I turn on the faucet, setting the temperature in lukewarm water. As it pours down on me, I realize how cold I've been. I draw in shaky breaths, as I place my palms on the cool walls of the shower glass, desperately trying to calm myself.

The fear was all too familiar, even it has been more than five years since that fucked up night. But as much as it was familiar it was different too.

I still remember when they called the landline phone, one of our workers had picked it up. Dad had surprisingly come home early that night, he gave the phone to Dad. I still remember how color drained from his face. Or how panic-stricken his voice was when he told us Jay had an accident. The gut-wrenching fear from that moment till we reached the hospital and then the blinding, world crashing pain upon hearing 'we're sorry, he's no more,' and just like that, he was gone.