2. Before The Party

When I was in high school, mostly in freshman and sophomore years, I used to think graduating college would feel like winning a noble prize. Like I would have the world at my feet. I also imagined being this awesome girl with a group of cool friends, doing all sorts of fun stuff, and making memorable memories. Fantasizing after graduating I would have this incredible job and have a flat all to myself. The exact picture-perfect Hollywood adult life. Because becoming an adult sounded amazing.

Spoiler alert, real life is a bummer. 

The graduation ceremony was completely uneventful, though I did wish Mom and Dad could make it... but I did know a week beforehand they wouldn't be able to. After all, Dad's patient was way more important than this, and Mom also had a cardiac conference, which again was very important and the date could not be changed.

It's not like I'm in kindergarten and can't do anything without them, plus, tomorrow morning I'm heading home. Hopefully, I'll not only see my parents but my brother and sister as well.

I try to fix my hair but fail horribly and decide not to touch it anymore. Looking at my reflection, I try to spot any flaws in what I'm wearing and none catch my eye.

I focus on tracing the outlines of the lightbulb picture that decorates my white shirt. It's a form of distraction, my way of pushing the negative and stressful thoughts out. Then I blankly stare at my reflection, training my eyes on the word 'Think' that has been written in bold letters.

I look disgustingly thin.

The thought comes so suddenly that it almost surprises me.

Inhaling sharply, I turn around.

Phone... check, powerbank... check, wallet... check, I guess I'm ready; I glance at my watch to see it's 5:57. Well, I suppose once I reach down, it'll be six.

I pick my keys and head out, lock the door, and start down the stairs.

In any movie, book, or even in series, when they say 'party', it means trouble and I still can't believe I'm going. I know I've never been to one, but whatever I've seen and read serves me enough to know that the possibility of this night ending well is very slim.

Just as I step outside, I spot Adrien climbing out of his black Range Rover. His eyes momentarily widen as they land on me. We walk towards each other.

"I wasn't expecting to see you, aren't girls always supposed to be late?" He smiles at me stopping a few steps away.

Looks like he's still in his good mood, aka no-bullying mood.

"Well, I didn't feel like being late." I give him a small smile as he narrows his eyes on me, making me frown. Anxiety has been tickling my nerves and his gaze is just making it worse, I can already feel my palms getting sweaty.

"I don't think white is a wise color for a party," he points out and I know, but I really wasn't in the mood of opening my suitcases, it's not worth the effort.

I just shrug, I'm not going to get drunk so hopefully, I won't end up regretting wearing white.

I walk past him and he follows me, hesitating for a moment, probably deciding whether he should open his car's door for me or not. Finally deciding not to do so, he walks over to his side. We both climb into the car at the same time.

He starts the car and a blanket of silence falls over us as the minutes pass. I mentally make a note to try to memorize all the turns he takes so if need be, I can come back without any trouble.

"So... what's your plan?" He tries to break the silence; I shrug only to realize his eyes are fixed on the road ahead.

"I'm going back home tomorrow morning," I reply. Just as I was about to start looking outside the window, I see him smile faintly.