The dinner (6)

Dad and Theodore -my brother- are already in a middle of a discussion when I enter, mom looks up from her phone and her grey eyes holding a shade of blue because of her dress, land on me and suddenly there is an undeniable shine in it as she abruptly stands up, her whole face lighting up as I smile at her.

"My baby!" She squeals and the next moment I'm in her tight embrace, "Oh I missed you so much, my little baby," she gushes.

I hug her back and from her shoulder, I can see now everyone is looking at us with wide smiles, except Avery of course. "You've gotten so thin honey, have you been sick? Did you visit a doctor? Why didn't you tell me?" She holds me in an arms-length as she starts looking over my face with worry in her eyes.

"Lizzy give the child a break," Dad says as he pushes mom aside with a wide grin, his green eyes shining, grey curly hair ruffled, showing a hard day from work. His specs, as usual, having fingerprints all over the glasses.

He hugs me tightly as he says, "Good to have you back my bright little one." Then steps aside.

I'm immediately tackled with Theo's bone-crushing hug, as he picks me up swirls me around saying "I missed you gamma-ray!" And I burst out laughing. He puts me down suddenly his expression becoming very serious, his eyebrows draw together, "I am so mad at you! You skipped your own brother's engagement ceremony!" The lightness and playfulness in his tone make me giggle at him.

"Well you should've chosen the date more carefully, it was in the middle of my exams." I defend mirroring his expression and he huffs.

"You are not skipping my wedding, engineer Eleanor Evans." He says and wraps his arms around my shoulder and his fiancée walks to us with a nervous smile.

I had seen her a few times when they were dating, but I never talked to her. I try to put my own nervousness aside and smile brightly at her. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do or say. Do I shake hands with her? Or maybe hug? I really don't know.

Grace stands right in front of me, looking equally confused. "It's great to see you again." She says, her voice soft and sweet. Her blond hair in loose curls as they reach below her chest, her baby blue eyes glancing at Theo for reassurance, as she pushes a strand of hair behind her ear.

"It's lovely to see you again, and congrats for the whole engagement thing... I guess? Sorry I couldn't make it." Everyone starts laughing and Theo playfully pinches the side of my arm.

"It's fine, it was inconsiderate of us to fix the date in the middle of your exams." She replies with a warm smile.

"Well if you're all done, how about we finally eat something?" Avery's irritated voice draws everyone's attention.

With a sigh or annoyed look, everyone starts to sit down. Mom and dad on either end of the dining table, Theo and Grace sit next to each other, Avery sits between mom and Theo, leaving an empty chair between herself and Theo, meaning I have to sit on the other side all by myself.

"Dad said you're taking a year off?" The moment I sit Theodore shoots the question and I only nod making him frown, "Why though? It's not a clever move El."

I roll my eyes at him as I put my elbows on the table, and lock my hands together, putting my chin on it. "I need a break, that's why. I didn't even have a break the summer high school ended; I just need to stay away from the academic world for a while to regain my energy."

"That's very unwise, anything can happen in a year, you seriously want to risk losing the chance to study at Harvard?" His stare is cold and it feels like it's weighing me down.

I look away and swallow hard.

"I'm not risking anything," I say as I lean back and cross my arms in front of my chest.