39. Sofia, Bulgari

Day 51

Arianna adjusts the knot at the bottom of her yellow crop top and turns around, parting her hair from the middle and braids a small part of it.

I cross my legs and put my left elbows on my knee and prop my chin on it.

"We missed you," she says in a matter-of-fact tone, and studies me through the mirror.

"I was here." I stare at her with confusion, drawing my eyebrows together.

She rolls her eyes, "You know what I mean. And no, you weren't." She pins the braid and ties it up along with the rest of her flowing hair on her left side. She spins and faces me. "You were here physically but not actually. So it's good to have you back," she offers a smile and I return it.

I try to hide my surprise, I wasn't expecting to hear that.

That night, after Adrien and I listened to music, it was the first time I could sleep with no interruptions. And yesterday the two of us watched the remaining episodes of Stranger Things the entire way from Bucharest to here and spent the night with seeing three Star Wars films. Maybe that lifted my mood? For whatever reasons, today I'm much better. Even though I only slept for four hours and woke up early.

I never thought watching movies with someone could be this fun. Not to mention that person being Adrien!

Arianna begins braiding the other side of her hair similar to the one she just finished.

"Can I ask you something? You don't have to answer it though, there's no pressure." She questions as her hands continue to do their work.

I wonder how she talks and works on her hair simultaneously. I sometimes forget to breathe while solving a hard question and halfway through it realize the lack of oxygen in my system.

With a smile, I nod at her.

"I'm curious... where were your parents and yourself the night of Jay's accident?" she asks and finishes styling her hair. "Of course no need to answer it if you don't want to," she adds, her fingers playing with the pink tips of her twin tails.

I tilt my head, chewing my lip. Her curiosity makes sense. After all, Jace was her cousin. They were really close. But why now? What if Adrien has said something? Or perhaps she feels comfortable enough with me to bring up the topic.

"I was at home," I respond with caution, and add "most of it," so it'd be as honest as possible.

She nods and walks to the nightstand, picking up her makeup bag and returns to the mirror. She pulls out what looks like a brush and then an eyeshadow palette. Arianna bends down and puts down the bag. Angles to me, but surveying the colors. She rubs the brush against the orange powder. A sigh falls on her lips, "Your parents were there that night. Were they truly in an operation together at the same time?" in a quiet tone, she queries.

I gaze down at my fingernails and pick my chin from my hand. My fingers reach one another and start fidgeting, my shoulders hunch and I have no answer to give her.

"I guess," I murmur.

I wonder what they would think if they find out they were over me, trying to clean up the mess I'd created. Maybe he really did die because of me.

"I'm not judging. They told Uncle that Jay had died before the ambulance even made it there. But... your parents are famous for being able to treat the most hopeless of cases. Your dad kept our grandpa alive for three years when every other doctor was saying it was impossible," she rambles.

With hesitance, I look up and meet her blue eyes.

"I'm sorry if I-" she starts but I shake my head.