30. Free

⚠️Warning: Sensitive topics regarding suicide and depression ahead, if you feel triggered please don't read this chapter. And in this chapter, by no means, none of the actions are being promoted.

Spring of Junior year of high school

The bell rings, and our teacher sighs, knowing nothing will keep the students in their seats now. He repeats the homework louder for the thousandth time, his voice carrying over the chatter that has already begun. Most students have packed up their textbooks and are ready to rush out of the classroom.

Slowly, I start to gather my stuff. By the point I'm done, the class is empty, save for our teacher. He smiles at me, his gaze drowning me in pity I didn't ask for.

I force a smile before walking out.

The hallways are full of rushing students making their way to the cafeteria for lunch.

It's like gravity is tugging me down harder with every passing second, along with my notebooks. With slouching shoulders, I go to my locker.

Nightmares have been chasing away my sleep. I've been barely keeping my eyes open in classes.

I had experienced this, but never for two weeks straight.

Life's been happening to me. Everything is a blur, a rush of unidentifiable movements.

I resemble a stone in the middle of a streaming river; the water moving from all sides but not taking me along with it.

Placing my books in my locker and shutting its door, I press my head to the cool metal. A sigh escapes my lips. I think I might collapse at any moment.

With significant effort, I push myself off of the metallic door of my locker by reminding myself that I have to meet Jace.

I've been avoiding Jace for the past fourteen days, as much as possible. He wanted to be at my side, but I just need to be alone. I don't want pity. Not from Jace.

To hope he would understand me will only lead me to get disappointed in him.

No one understands me.

It feels like I'm the only human being in this whole wide universe, while painstakingly being seen and pitied by every living soul.

My legs take me to the library, and there he stands, glancing at his watch. Jace looks up and his eyes land on me, in an instant a smile makes its way to his face as he approaches me.

"Ellie!" He enthusiastically greets me.

I feel like shit for not giving him the same energy back.

Jace's smile falters, "Eleanor," he softly says and then wraps his arms around me, drawing me to himself.

I want to push him away, or even hold my ground, but I can't find the strength for it so I give in and lean into him. Closing my eyes, pressing my head to his chest, I inhale his scent.

Jace's arms tighten around me, one of his hands rubs idle circles on my back as he presses his cheek to the top of my head.

"Hey, it'll be alright, you'll get over it," he murmurs.

In normal circumstances that would've made me lash out, but I'm too tired to even nod, let alone start an argument.

I pull myself out of his embrace; he rests his palms on my shoulders. They feel too heavy, pressing me further down to the ground.

"Jace," I begin, but he interrupts me.

"Hear me out, I want to tell you something important... actually ask an important question," he says with a small smile. Shifting his weight from one leg to the other, he inhales a sharp breath.