40. Athens, Greece

Day 53

I shift uncomfortably on the bunk bed. Somehow Arianna and Dylan convinced Adrien to cancel the reservations of the hotel, and instead book a hostel.

He also threw a tantrum yesterday when we got here, because there were no rooms with four empty beds and each of us had to stay with other people. Needless to say, the outburst earned us a room to ourselves. I never recognized Adrien's hidden ability to be a drama queen. For a good thirty minutes, Arianna and I were laughing while Dylan imitated Adrien.

I had on purpose left out this information about our change of plans when I spoke to my parents. This recent surge of confidence, at least I like to call it that. With no idea of its source, is the main reason I decided not to recount most of my whereabouts. I knew the moment I tell them they'd freak out, and I had to explain my reasons to them, which they never would've understood, or even listened. So I didn't mention it, to save myself from having a pointless argument.

Also, I'm an adult. I have the right to decide what I want to do without needing to justify my behavior to anyone. If Mom and Dad cannot give me that space, I must find ways to cut it out for myself. This new voice in my mind has kept me convinced I made a reasonable choice. I'm trying to live, to be carefree, and enjoy life. That won't happen if I stay in contact with my family and provide them every detail of my actions. Let them think I'm playing the martyr, I really don't care. I'm sick of being judged, so tired of explaining myself all the time.

Their view over me can't get worse than this.

I readjust my position, to have the most light coverage over my book's pages. With the bed overhead, it's not an easy task.

I glance at Adrien, standing in front of his canvas busy drawing the Parthenon along with a figure whom I guess it must be goddess Athena. It would only make sense, since Parthenon is dedicated to her and Athens people consider her their patron. That's what Google says.

I continue with my Tales of Norse Mythology. It appeared suiting to read it in this city. In fact, I've always procrastinated reading anything regarding mythology. Yesterday, I came across this book and it was fitting to buy and read it.

The only problem is that it'll be a big trouble soon if I keep on buying books in each country we visit.

I'll find a way around that. And with that thought the topic is closed, I fix my full attention to the book.

Adrien's constant grumbles under his breath draw my focus to him.

I watch him as a smile tugs on my face. We've been getting along really well. In fact, last night he offered we set Monday movie nights and Saturday and Sunday series nights. And I happily agreed. There are a lot of films I've missed out on.

After a minute, when I realize he won't quit his mutterings, I ask, "Is something wrong, Adrien?"

He turns to me, and I barely hold back my laughter. One side of his forehead and his cheek stained with black.

"Oh, no. Everything is perfect." He waves his hands, his palms covered with color.

I bite my bottom lip to prevent myself from giggling. With a nod, I reply, "Okay," and stare at my book.

"I was being sarcastic," he adds with disbelief, drawing my gaze to himself.

A broad grin pulls on my lips, "I know," I assure him.

"That's all you've got to say!" his eyebrows raised so high that it makes him more comical than serious, therefore harder to not titter while looking at him.