45. City of Love

I place the bottom of my bookmark on the last line I read and close the book, placing it on the coffee table, and glance at the watch, 2:27.

I take off my glasses and put them over the novel. The story kept me distracted enough to follow the promise I had made to myself. It also calmed my nerves. Somewhere in between, I dared to retrieve my fallen keycard.

I push myself to my feet, stretching my arms as I yawn and walk over to the bed. I shove aside the covers when a loud slamming noise makes me halt.

Frozen to the spot, I clutch the corner of the duvet, directing all my focus, hoping to hear something from the other side.

Another banging sound, followed by a muffled voice calling my name.

Relief floods through me and my grasp loosen. I move to the doorway, while I tug down my shorts in a vain attempt to cover more skin.

I wonder what Adrien has to say this late at night.

I texted him a while ago, informing him I've left, to prevent the Amsterdam incident from repeating.

Pulling the door open, there he stands, his forehead pressed next to the doorframe. Adrien straightens himself. His bloodshot eyes scan my face before a lazy smile curves his mouth.

"Eleanor!" he slurs and stumbles, struggling to stand straight in front of me.

Alcohol's scent attacks my senses.

I squint, skeptic I ask, "Did you mistake your room with mine?"

A laugh tumbles out of him, making him stagger. "No," he splutters, squinting, he leans to me. "I wanted to see you," and offers a small smile.

Unsure, I mumble, "Okay,"

His expression changes as he presses his lips into a thin line, and glowers, "Why him?"

I furrow my brows. What is he talking about?

"Why that asshole?" he shouts, pointing his index finger at me.

My eyes widen. We can't get kicked out of the hotel now!

"Adrien," I start, taking a step toward him.

He backs away, "No!" he snaps but loses his balance. I catch his hand in time to stop him from falling, and pull him, trying to straighten him.

"Let's talk inside, okay?" I suggest in a soft tone.

He cocks his head, gazing at me, and replies equally softly, "Okay,"

Relieved that he's agreeing, I help him in and shut the door behind us.

He walks further in, sometimes using the wall to maintain his stability.

"You were reading?" he asks with surprise and turns to me.

"Yeah," I nod.

He grins. He surveys me as I remain in the narrow hallway leading to the center of the suite across from the window. He shifts his weight from one leg to the other, "You look nice," he remarks, slurring the last word. I raise my eyebrows in bewilderment. How much did he drink? He's not being himself.

With unsteady strides, he moves towards me. "Wear like this more often," he tells me, then pauses and frowns. "No, I take that back, don't, assholes stare at you too much already,"

He walks to the wall and leans to it. His attention fixes on the view as I stand in front of him and cross my arms.

His eyes bore into me. "Why that asshole!" he demands.