Planning and Packing (7)

Avery rolls her eyes as Theo eyes me suspiciously.

"Honey," Mom starts as she nervously looks from me to dad and then back to me. "I think you need to rest, we'll talk about it tomorrow." She says and then glares at dad when she sees his expression has not changed and he is not supporting her.

"You're right." Dad starts, his eyes fixed on me, "You truly have experienced nothing... you're young and if you don't do the stuff all the youngsters do, then when will you actually enjoy and live. So, what's your plan?" He says the last part with a faint smile, his voice already laced with excitement.

"What?" Mom angrily snaps. "You're encouraging her in this madness? She needs to visit her Psychiatrist again, not get into some... stupid thing!" Mom stammers in the last part and Dad narrows his eyes at her.

"What she needs is to get out of this environment, and by this environment, I don't mean this house, I mean this sick environment we built for her, not just in our house but in her mind as well, and for her to feel better she needs to get far away from it. I support her, like it or not. She can always work, hell she has to work till she gets sixty seventy years old until she retires, but she won't ever be able to do the things that she can do in this age." Dad firmly states, with the same authority he uses in his clinic for treating his patience or continuing some experimental treatment against his coworkers' will.

Mom looks defeated as she sinks back into her chair.

Dad looks at me, his expression immediately softening "So, what's the plan?"

I don't have any plans; it was a decision made at the moment!

"I guess doing things I've never done before." It sounded more like a question rather than a statement as I say it. I guess it's obvious I haven't thought it through and I'm unsure. "I want to travel! I want to see different places, try different food! See the different cultures I've read in books."

"We can go somewhere, if you don't want to go with mom and dad, the four of us could go," Theo says and I shake my head no.

"I don't want to go with any of you anywhere. That's not fair to me." I point out as I lean forward and press my palms to the table.

"You can't travel alone El! Don't be irrational! You don't know how to protect yourself, you won't even survive for a day."

Ouch.

"Well, that's the point I believe. She has to start somewhere, she has to learn at some point, for how long is she supposed to stay dependent on us?" Dad replies.

Theo opens his mouth but no words come out, he sighs as he shakes his head, knowing better than to argue with dad at this point.

Dad inhales deeply as he looks back at me, his green eyes already shining, showing that he has probably come up with a plan already. "Your brother is right, I can't just let you go like this, that would be foolish."

"Finally! Your senses took their time to work this time." Mom snaps, her voice dripping with annoyance.

Dad shakes his head, trying his best to hide his smile. He starts explaining his plan, with detail, all the while Theo keeps looking unsure as if he can't decide if this whole thing is a good idea or not, but Grace, on the other hand, keeps smiling widely and encouragingly at me. While Avery fixes her glare on me, her honey-colored eyes shooting daggers at me as she keeps drinking her wine and refilling it from the bottle.

I can't believe my ears and I can't believe dad is suggesting all these things! This is an awesome idea!

Mom though is glaring at Dad, her mouth half-open, as if she is contemplating whether she wants to argue now or would it be better if she waits.