1. The day before graduation

Humans, beings that call themselves the smartest species, have found it particularly important to build a robot that can do a backflip, but not a robot that can pack up your stuff. Apparently doing a backflip is much more vital and useful than the capability of packing up. Smartness is literally dripping from this singular decision of prioritizing matters.

Finally plopping down on my bed with a sigh, I set my checklist next to me and look at the now-empty wall across from me. Once it had been filled with a collection of papers containing circuits and equations that were too unique or important to be left in the books. I take in the rest of the room, all the empty shelves, and four close-to-bursting suitcases.

Four years, 1400 days of my life, have been spent in this room and now it's finally over, I'm going back home. With a sigh, I get up from my bed, pick up my checklist again and start to pace the room as I go through everything for the thousandth time.

I just hope I haven't missed out on anything, and everything would go according to my plan. I'm sure if I stay in this dorm room any longer, I'll lose my mind. So, I carefully place the list on my now empty study desk and walk out.

Starting down the stairs, I go as quietly as my squeaking shoes allow me to. I can't help but think that in two days, actually less than forty-eight hours, I'll be leaving here. Hopefully I'll never see this place ever again.

I mean, I always knew it would come to an end, but I didn't expect to feel so paradoxical towards it. There is relief that I managed to survive it and now I'm graduating, but at the same time I feel empty, like now what I'm supposed to do. Even though I already have plans for the future, I still feel lost and hollow. It wasn't the best four years, of course, but it was definitely way better than those four horrid years of high school.

Exiting the building, I go to my bicycle, unlock it, and get on it. It's the only effective way to soothe my nerves. What could possibly go wrong on a graduation day? Especially when I've planned out everything and rechecked it more than I can possibly care to count.

And I don't remember coming across a Stanford graduation ceremony going horribly wrong.

As I pick up speed, I can't help but close my eyes and enjoy the feel of the soft breeze through my hair. It ruffles my sandy brown hair and I know it's getting tangled up, but my curly-frizzy locks are always tangled up no matter what. So, it won't be fair to cut myself from such little pleasure.

"I knew I'd see you here."

I open my eyes and glance back, seeing Amelia smiling brightly at me. In the past four years, we have shared some classes but not enough to become close. Not to mention, she always sat in the last row seats and I in front of the class. The words we mostly shared were her asking for help to complete her assignments, and the rest was her being unnecessarily talkative to ensure that I'll help her with the upcoming assignments too.

Her jet black hair is pulled into a tight ponytail that accentuates her made up face. The yellow shirt she wears makes her look cool, considering her dark skin tone. I smile at her as I slow down so we are next to each other.

"Girl, you look wild," she comments with a giggle. Our laughs intermingle once I join in.

"I know," I reply.

It's probably true. I bet I look like a person who has battled with the wind and has gone horribly wrong. But there isn't much I can do about it. My hair barely reaches my jawline and I can hardly tie it back. With all the sleepless nights, I'm sure I have huge and ugly dark circles around my eyes. Never being fond of smearing makeup over my skin, I guess everyone who comes in contact with me has to tolerate it.