34. Music

"Is my voice really that terrible?" Adrien's question startles me.

I snap up with wide eyes, his hands pushed into his pants pockets, a strained smile on his lips.

I shake my head no as I change my sitting position to stand up, but he crosses the few steps between us and sits next to me, surprising me.

"Then why did you leave?" he asks, studying me closely.

With a shrug, I gaze elsewhere, pushing my glasses up.

"I wouldn't mind if you tell me my voice sucks," he says after a long moment of silence.

I hold back my smile, and assure him, "It doesn't,"

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him nod his head.

"Did someone say something?" he questions with caution, lines of worry appearing on his features.

He certainly does not want to drop the subject.

I push my hand through my hair, "No, I left because I wasn't wanted," I admit. Maybe it's because of the wine I blurted out the truth that easily. It's not like me to voice these matters.

"I wanted you there," he replies in a beat. The intensity of his gaze makes me peek at him. Our eyes lock, his pupils dilating, leaving a ring of bluish-green.

I'm not a mind reader, but I'm finding it hard not to believe him.

Also, what to respond to his comment? Thank him? Object him?

A textbook should be written, revealing appropriate answers for such statements.

I face away, I need to come up with an answer before it gets awkward.

His Adam's apple bobs, "What were you thinking about anyway?" he queries.

Relief washes through me, but admitting what I was pondering over is embarrassing.

I shrug again. "Nothing,"

He snorts, shaking his head, "Didn't look like nothing," he states with a loop side smile.

I don't know if I'm overthinking or not, but it seems he has changed since that morning. He acts more patient around me. I can't identify if it's out of guilt or he's getting used to the way I am. That sometimes I take longer than others to answer. I haven't decided yet, which I would prefer it to be.

"I am a very nonjudgmental person, you can try by telling me," he arches his eyebrows.

This time I snort, and he rolls his eyes, adding, "I'm working to not be judgmental," he raises his palms in mock defense.

I sigh, he's trying to put up with me, the least I can do is not make it harder. I rub my forehead and start explaining. Halfway through my explanations, I glance at him. His expression takes me by surprise, making me lose the chain of words. His eyes are wide with astonishment while beaming.

"Don't stop," he softly says, not for once looking away from me.

"That's the idea, the rest is just boring science stuff," I mumble, and stare at my hands.

"It's not. And can't you get how amazing it is," he exclaims.

I face him, furrowing my brows, and tilt my head, "What is?"

His eyes widen even more with disbelief, "You see the big picture and dive into the smallest details of it. From the structure of elements that build and hold them together, and so on! Like those science animations starting from particles extending to galaxies."