44. Badass nerd

Day 71

I have been paying closer attention, since I have nothing worthwhile to do, and I know the three much more than I did in Amsterdam.

Adrien sits on an armchair, his shoulders pushed back, the same reckless and emotionless stance marking every action. His words harsh and careless, the same Adrien I was accustomed to in high school and for a while in college.

Arianna has the aura of not giving two shits about anyone or anything, even her makeup is bolder than usual. While Dylan is acting reserved and drawn into himself. His speeches limited and eyes cautious, darting to everyone's faces after uttering a word, mostly engaging with a person at a time.

Arianna, Will, and Jacob are chatting together. Dylan's with Amanda, while Tina, Rebecca, and Olivia are busy gossiping, by the looks of it. Calvin, James and Jeffry are standing in one group.

Sophia, sitting on the armrest of Adrien's seat, leans over and whispers in his ear.

I fish out my phone, to have something to occupy my hands and mind, and go through my emails. Sensing a figure walking up to me, my focus snaps to it. Jeffry with a smirk approaches me, his gaze moving from my head to toe. I resist the urge to shift with discomfort.

"Seems you have better things to do than join us," he begins.

I offer him a tight-lipped smile. I've been observing him too, and I didn't find what I was seeing agreeable.

The first night I met him, the way he spoke to Adrien seemed off, but rich businessmen families function differently. I didn't pay much thought to it, they are rivals after all. Although it suggests it goes beyond 'who is richer' rivalry and I refuse to get stuck in the middle of it. To add more strength to my choice of steering clear of Jeffry, was his remark regarding Jace. He was being offensive. And what human being talks to someone who has lost its sibling to an untimely death like that! And I decided in that instance, I dislike him. But no matter how closed off I act, he doesn't take the clue to just stay far from me and let me be.

"Wanna drink?" he asks.

"No, thanks," I reply and glance around the suite. My gaze locks with Adrien's as he stares with an unreadable emotion burning in his eyes. I look away.

My rule of you can't be an introvert and picky for socializing, does not apply to Jeffry. Even if we'd be the last humans on Earth, I rather decay in my room than interact with him.

He opens his mouth to respond, but thankfully Will's voice cuts him short.

"Yo, Adi," he starts, putting an end to the chatter. He points his glass at Adrien, and continues, "Ri here is saying you guys are going to Barcelona tomorrow. What do you say we tag along, spend the day on the beach. You still got your yacht over there?"

All the while Adrien watches him with a vacant stare, but I notice him rubbing his index and middle finger together before he stops, lays it flat on the armrest. Sophia's features light up as she places her arm around his shoulders.

Tina chimes, "Superyacht," and receives an icy glare from Adrien.

His expression stays blank as he shrugs with indifference. "I have to check,"

"What are you waiting for?" Jacob urges.

Adrien throws an irritated glance at him as he stands.

"We'll have so much fun. Do you remember, you used to promise me that after graduation you'd take me on a trip with that?" Sophia reminds him, holding Adrien's hand.

He stares at her before pulling away and picking up his phone and walks onto the balcony.

"You have been on these things?" Jeffry queries. I shake my head. A smirk arches his mouth. "Don't worry, if you're with the right person, it can be great,"