Chapter 12- The Early Bird

a/n
longer chapter:)))
enjoy!

Y/N POV
I saw Dream standing in the bathroom with brushes in his hands and his sleeves rolled up. I could see tiny slivers of sweat running down the sides of his face. His smile contained the brightness of a sun, but his eyebrows pointed upwards showing that his nervousness was peaking through a bit.
"So..." He started. I chuckled at how clueless he seemed to be. I walked over and out my hands on his shoulders leaning in a bit before whispering something.
"Don't make me yell." I gave him a quick wink before stepping off of him and stepping into the double door tub. I looked back at Dream seeing his face displayed a rosy red blush that he could no longer contain. I chuckled to myself a bit before getting situated in the tub. The water held a nice heat that warmed up my skin and let steam rise to the ceiling before eventually piling up and falling back into the tub as a colder temperature. I folded my wings for a quick second before dunking myself in backwards, my wings taking up most of the space below me so I can get them wet.
"Oh!" I called before looking to Dream. "Can you get my speaker? Pretty please with a cherry on top?" He looked at me before nodding and jogging out of the bathroom.
I heard rustling in our room before I heard his voice once more.
"Uhh y/n?"
"Yeah?"
"Wheres the speaker?"
"In my bag, it should be in one of the smaller pockets to the right side!"
I heard more violent rusting before a quick 'Aha' was heard. He jogged back with a grin on his face.
"Whos playlist is going to be played?" We looked at each other, his fingers held his chin as he thought about whos playlist would be better to jam out to.
"What about mine?" I asked. It had been a while since I sat down and listened to it. My heart wanted to hear the repeated music notes that I once used to always fill my ears with.
Dream smirked and turned on the speaker, which in return we got the four iconic music notes "ba da babum". He connected it to my phone before asking
"Which playlist? And why do you have so many? And why for the love of god do you have one for crying??"
"Okay look man, this is a no judgement zone. I gotta let the tears out somehow." I playfully pouted at his curiosity to which he gave me a little snicker.
"So..which playlist?"
"Please Dream pick one, and for the love of god let it be the vibe one." He laughed before finally picking a playlist to shuffle.
We waited and then the song came on, specifically Verbatim by Mother Mother.
I let out a large gasp knowing how much we both loved this song. I dramatically turned back to Dream with a large grin, he giggles at my excitement.
"Alright alright, let's get started yeah? Also please guide me, I will inevitably probably mess up."
"You'll do fine Dream, my parents used to do my wings for the longest time."
Dream grabbed the dedicated shampoo from one of the edges of the tub lathering his hands in the thick soap creating bubbles between his fingertips before starting to run his fingers through my feathers.
"You know, you never talked much about your parents. I understand everybody likes their privacy but it's odd for someone to be so quiet about their origin yknow?" I stayed silent for a few seconds thinking of what my next words should be before Dream cut my train of thought.
"You don't have to talk about anything you're uncomfortable with of course."
I opened my mouth to say something before closing it once more. It was a topic I normally didn't discuss so it would make sense as to why he was so curious. I would talk to him about my parents all day but the lack of conversation on the topic prevented my sentences to form.
"No no.." I finally spoke, "let's talk about them. I just don't know where to start to be honest..."
"Well, what were they like?" He asked as he massaged the shampoo through every layer of feathers, not leaving one behind as he went.
"They were good. They taught me things, gave me what I wanted. The basic necessities. Could I complain when gave me everything I needed? So I guess they were great."
"You guess?"
"Well hm." I took a second to think about my next words, now feeling Dreams hands start to wash away the suds, feeling them drip down each feather back into the tub. The water gaining a sudsy filmy layer on the top as the shampoo was mixed in.
"Take your time."
"They were good for the basic necessities but when it came to what parents needed to be, they didn't fulfill."
"What do you mean by that?"
"They lacked the emotion to understand me. In other words, emotionally they couldn't be there for me," I took a breath in before continuing, not realizing how long my sentences were until I had to breath. "they were pro heroes like us, except their jobs endangered their families so much to the point where they decided cutting off certain emotions would be best. Unfortunately, they had me before this decision."
Soon the suds left my wings which meant it was time to condition. Dream grabbed the conditioner bottle putting a decent palm sized blob ready for one wing. His ears listening intently whilst working.
"I can't blame them, because eventually some of our family did get killed due to their jobs. Yet their emotional states were so blank they couldn't shed a tear, whilst I shed many. They couldn't comfort me knowing they forgot how to. But they tried." I shrugged a bit to show I had gotten over it, or well, accepted it.
"Why did they continue their jobs if they knew they were endangering what was closest to them?"
"They had to. They were originally villains that terrorized their cities until they were eventually caught. They were given the decision to make a life time contract with agencies or be put in prison never living long enough to see the daylight again."
"Gotcha." Dream rubbed each feather between his fingers making sure to get every crevice he could reach. Making sure to lather each feather with enough conditioner to make up for the lack of attention they had been getting.
"So how'd you put up with it? You seem like your emotional vulnerability is available." Dream inquired.
"I learned to accept their conditions, as I was already somewhat conditioned to these blank emotions."
"What do you mean by that?" He said whilst pulling a feather a bit too hard, causing me to flail the wing a bit.
"Shit! So sorry!" He apologized quite loudly waiting for my sign to continue once more. I chuckled a bit before nodding my head as a go-to.
"My dad isn't fully human, hence the reason my quirk is kind of wacky. He was a god. He was a god stuck in a humans body. He once had immortality before it was stripped away from him, the reason is unknown as I never bothered to ask but he always used to say 'Sometimes the early bird doesn't always get the worm, but a bullet.'," I chuckled thinking back at his stupid saying. "That man loved hunting before he wiped himself of the rest of his vulnerable emotions. But his quirk gave me the powers of angels, whilst my mom gave me the dove white wings. They thought it was ironic that a god gave birth to an angel. They couldn't appreciate it more." I stopped before realizing I had ended up rambling to which I could feel some blood rush up to my cheeks in embarrassment.
"Ah ive been rambling this whole time dude!! Shit do you have anything you want to talk about?"
He laughed at my simple distress, he had just finished the conditioning of my second wing.
"Actually, I kind of want you to keep talking. You seem very interested in this topic, it's cute but also kind of inspiring."
I rubbed the back of my neck but nodded. I felt Dream picking up cups of water to start to rinse the conditioner out so he could start plucking and brushing out the feathers.
"Where was I?" I put my finger on my chin looking up as if the ceiling would give me answers.
"Ah." The lightbulb above my head went off and I started to speak once more.
"I think my parents did amazing for what they could've done. Their choices were made to protect not only me, but themselves. Their enemies realized they had no soft spot which put me out of their field of targets. But I don't think they realized how much it would affect me to have almost shells of my parents. They lacked so much emotional support that sometimes I felt so alone in such a full house. They couldn't sympathize, empathize, nothing. They got rid of it all. They did what they could, but it wasn't enough because the one thing I needed most was missing."
"Whatd you need the most?"
"A support system."
"Even if they lost their emotional vulnerability why wouldn't you have had their support?" He questioned. I turned to look at him seeing his face hold a look of confusion while working.
"They just didn't understand emotions anymore. They couldn't. But I knew they tried to. They tried cracking smiles that never had emotion behind it, tried shedding tears with no sadness, tried yelling with no anger; you get the pattern. But even through that facade little me knew those werent my parents anymore, purely just shells and remnants of who they once were." I sighed while looking down before a small smile turned on my face.
"I remember this time when I was little I woke up from a terrible nightmare in the middle of the night. Instead of just going back to sleep like a normal person, I ran into their room. I woke them up with tears and sobbing. Instead of reprimanding me, my dad got up and stood in front of me with one of the kindest but empathetic smiles I had ever seen." I wiped a few loose tears before continuing. "He picked me up giving me the biggest hug he could've given. I still remember how warm his hug was and the comfort it gave me. My mom was watching us with such a nice smile. My dad placed me in the middle of the bed, sandwiching me between him and my mom. We cuddled the whole night, my dad never once letting go of me or my mom." I looked up at the ceiling once more. I could feel Dreams hands stopped trying to get out the conditioner. His eyes lingered on my head looking up. I barely saw him, but his face held a sympathetic look. I opened my mouth and let out what was just above a whisper.
"And then the next week came along, and I never got that type of hug again. They wiped their emotions almost completely."
I felt an exhale glide through my lungs.
"Worst part? I think they wiped away their love for me..I think they tried to show me they loved me but it was never genuine, it seemed so fake like they knew they had to but didn't want to." I smiled a melancholy grin to myself.
"It took me forever to come to terms with that last part, but I couldn't let that drag me down." I turned behind me and met a sympathetic Dream looking at me with tears building in his eyes.
"I'm surrounded by love everywhere I go, even if it's platonic. Why be dragged down by what I missed when I have the same thing right here?"
He immediately grabbed me into a hug digging his head into the crook of my shoulder. I slowly wrapped my arms around him rubbing his head, I knew he felt bad which wasn't my intention. I just started to ramble, him not stopping me just made me keep going. I felt bad but it felt good to get it off my chest.
He lifted his head and let go of me with a little smile.
"I bet that felt good to say all at once huh?"
I laughed at his response, he always brought the mood up.
"I finished up your wings a bit ago but I wanted you to keep talking. But let's get you up and out of your- nope- my wet clothes." I stood up and he threw me 2 towels.
He walked out of the bathroom to get me extra clothes while I dried myself off of bubble filled water and dried tear stains that I hope Dream didn't notice.