Chapter 21- Backup?

a/n
volleyball season for school just ended YEAAAAAAA which means (theoretically?) i get more free time and i'm so excited!! more naps and writing!! YESS!! anyways :]

Dream POV
As we were walking back, I felt Y/n settle her head in the indentation of my neck and shoulder. Her slight shaking of her head to even out any clothing wrinkles and seams to settle better. We were an alley away from the van now. The walk seemed agonizingly long. It felt as though the crickets were chirping louder than usual, the wind was howling right into my ear, every crunch of a leaf beneath my feet causing what felt like an earthquake. I took a hand out from underneath y/n and put it on my temples.
My walking became uneven for a split second as one of my eyes closed due to the added weight above my brow, but I quickly corrected myself. I sighed before I felt a warm pair of hands land onto my contrasting ears.

"I know how overstimulated you get after using your quirk or from simply fighting. Tonight has been a loud night, i've noticed it too." When she stopped talking, she put more weight on top of my ears, successfully muffling everything around me. And after a minute or so we finally reached the van.

"Thing 1 and Thing 2!! You're alive! We thought you wouldn't make it from how long you were taking!" Quackity was yelling, I assumed based off how obnoxiously his mouth was moving but the muffle simply blocked out majority of his sound.

"Yeah, well we're the only two who fought, unlike you, who ran." I felt Y/ns voice vibrate against my back, based off what I heard I simply scoffed and nodded in agreement with her. I gave Quackity a glare. I took my hand from under y/n  again to take her hands off my ears; placing them around my neck instead.

"You were no help to Star in her fight whatsoever. You ran to a random alley. And you dared to call us the deadweight?" I gave a mean stare to Quackity, to which he only responded with a quick chuckle and hand behind his neck.

"Look, my quirk isn't meant for that type of situa-" He was quickly cut off.
"So you left me to die with Sam instead of even  bothering to do something with such a useless quirk?? Yknow..maybe..i don't know.. change his mind??" I could feel her vocal vibrations against my back become more aggressive, she was unhappy with the situation that had unfolded. 
I looked over at Jack to see his stance and he simply stood still like a statue; side by side with Foolish.
"We have a guest, but let's leave before we cause anymore suspicion, alright?" Jack peeped out.
And then Jack stepped up and looked at Quackity.

"You lost your designated driver, genius." he said before nudging him as he walked around to one of the car doors. I turned my head away from Jacks leaving body and gave Quackity a mean glare.
"Open the back, I have to put her in. You're driving." I said to him. To which he fumbled with the keys in his pocket before taking them out. The doors opened, struggling to glide against the metal rails they sat above due to the collecting and growing rust that surrounds the bolts and screws.

I popped y/n in one of the backseats before hopping in with her. I saw Jack still aimlessly standing near one of the many doors, so I gave a look to him, non verbally asking if he wanted to join. But he simply gave me a wave of his hand. He sat up front with Quackity. I looked over to Foolish to which he said, "If I leave with you guys, you may never have a strong connection with this agency again." He said with a chuckle before running off into the darkness.

We all settled within our seats, closing every door with a sturdy slam to make sure every bolt locked in its place correctly. And we began our short trip.
Silence engulfed us. It was an awkward tension. Jack and Quackity were supposed to take most of the work load in the fight, yet they both completely bailed on y/n and I.

"So..." Jack awkwardly let out, never implying to complete his sentence.
"So..?" I said as if to mock him for his childish attempt to start a conversation.
There was a few more seconds of tense silence before Quackity finally spoke up.

"Look, guys, I'm so sorry-" He was abruptly cut off.

"Quackity," y/n sighed, "i'm not mad at you for running. Because, honestly? If I had a quirk that wasn't made for fighting, I would've ran as well. It was logical of you to do. But I simply didn't expect you to cower away. But you called backup at least-"
"Backup?" He interrupted abruptly. That was my cue. Although, it was my cue to settle in her true disappointment.
"He didn't call for backup. I heard your cries all the way from the rooftops and made my way over." As the words spilled out of my mouth I crossed my arms over my chest and lazily splayed out my legs in front of me, letting my body hit a position of relaxation.

"You're kidding, right?" She started laughing lightly.
"Nope." I said, popping the 'p'.
She fully turned her head towards the front of the car now, annoyance displayed on her face.
"I wasn't mad at first, and I'm not now. But i'm annoyed. You ran. You cowered away while I took on the strongest agent from an agency I knew little to nothing about," that was a lie, but I knew she was trying to exaggerate to make her point stronger "and you still left? What gave you the right to leave me behind?"
She started to sit up.
"If this man," she pointed at me, "could hear me from the furthest rooftops, I guarantee you could've heard me as well." I saw Quackity start to sink into himself at the wheel, his slouch becoming worse. Like a child sulking away in the corner of a room while they get reprimanded.
"And you didn't call backup? You didn't even bother to help either? You're a coward. You're pathetic. I expected more, to be honest." She stared intently waiting for an answer but he stood silent for a few seconds.

"I know. I shouldn't have ran, and I should've called backup. I fucked up, alright? Is that what you wanted to hear so badly?" I could see his grip tighten on the wheel, and the car steadily start to go faster. "You got injured, boohoo! It fucking happens! If you could stop crying about it-"

She quickly interrupted, "I'm not crying about it! You left me for the fucking dead!! You KNEW I couldn't take him on without Dream or some other sort of backup!" Her landed on her chest.

"How was I to know you were so dependent?!"

"Dependent?!! Me!? I'm not dependent, my strength simply wouldn't withhold against Sam!"

"And maybe you should've thought about that-"

"Well maybe you should've checked the calendars to see if they were actually correct! Ponk even wrote-"

"I just assumed Schlatt would've checked beforehand, what do you take me for?! A fucking idiot?!"

"After the stunt you pulled, YE-"

"ENOUGH." Jacks voice boomed through the car. If put a sudden halt in the heated quarrel. All heads turned towards Jack, and we all stared intently.
"Everybody is at fault here, is that understood? Now everybody drop all of their ill feelings, their opinions of the matter, and for the love of god lower your voices. What's done is done. What do we want to happen? Turn back time? Well geniuses, we can't. It's in the past now. Leave it be."
I saw y/n move her head to face her hands that sat in her lap. Quackity was now more focused on the road, Jack was looking out of the window, his hand supporting his head whilst his arm sat on the window. I sighed and looked at my boots.

"We're almost there." Quackity said quietly. Nobody spoke, but there within the car there was a silent acknowledgment that unanimously happened.

a/n
shorter chapter that wasn't too fun, but hope u enjoyed :].