FORTY-FOUR

I headed out of the front door while slinging my purse over my shoulder and walking down the porch steps.

I looked up to see a black Lamborghini Urus sitting in front of our house and immediately rolled my eyes "you're fucking kidding" I mumbled to myself.

I walked down to the passenger's side and opened the door to see Hayes with a slightly annoyed look on his face.

"You're late." He said.

"I know, I just had to change real quick." I said as I climbed into the car and shut the door. 

"I haven't gotten to do this with you in so long." He smiled as he put his hand on my knee.

"I just went out with you yestersay."

"You know exactly what I mean," He rolled his eyes "You look sexy though." I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Thanks." I said while pulling my knee from his grasp and in response, he just moved his hand further up my thigh.

"As much as I love the modesty- ya know, so I can be the only one to really see you- I was expectihng something... sexier." He remarked.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest "You weren't specific." I said bluntly.

"Ya know what, it's fine. Because in a couple of hours you won't be wearing anything anyways." He patted my thigh.

"I have work tomorrow, Hayes."

"So? Call off or something. I dont care." He shrugged.

"I also told Jack that I'd be back home by 9."

"That's just more of a reason to keep you out past your curfew, Gabrielle." I rolled my eyes and shifted in my seat so my knees were facing the window."

"So, how does it feel to have an affair with your first love? Your little boyfriend knows about it, right?" He mocked me.

"I swear to fucking God, you meet up with me just to talk down to me. And you wonder why I didnt want you." I fired back.

In response, he sucked his teeth and shook his head.

"And this isn't a fucking affair by the way, its a deal. And you know Jack is my husband, so stop it with that childish shit. Are you mad because you got replaced by someone better—" as soon as those words left my mouth, he slammed on the brakes. As everything in the car jerked forward, I put my arms out in front of me in fear that I would slam my head on the dashboard or that the tight seatbelt would harm my stomach.

"I wasnt fucking replaced by anyone better, Gabby," He yelled. I could see his red cheeks and the veins in his arms and neck bulge "You really are naive, aren't you? You really think the highschool fuckboy could be faithful to you? The girl every guy saw as a fuck toy? You have no idea what kinds of things guys used to say about you, do you?"

I stayed silent, slightly embarrassed and confused.

"All of the guys you thought were your friends; Jack and Johnson.. Nate, Sam, literally any guy you can name talked about fucking you. Everytme you wore those fucking leggings? They would talk about how fat your ass was, every time there was a school dance and you decided to wear those slutty fucking short dreses, they would stare and comment. You're telling me that you never noticed that stuff?"

"He wasn't like that, Hayes."

"Yes he fucking was. We were damn near in the same friend group. He would always talk about you before we started dating."

"And you were so much better, right?" I asked, sarcastically.

"Yes, at least I respected you enough to ask you out. And it's not like I had some kind of agenda. We both see how long it took you to finally give it up, Jesus Christ." He mumbled that last part.