SEVENTY-NINE

Six years later

My son ran up to me at the sink with his little sister following close behind him.

They both grabbed onto my legs, embracing me in their version of a tight hug.

"Mommy, can we go outside?" He asked as he looked up at me with a smile still full of all of his baby teeth.

"Yes, but you know me or daddy needs to be out there watching you since the pool is by your playset." I said to him.

"I know," He whined as they both clung to each of my legs "will you play with us?" He asked.

"Maybe a little later. Mommy has to finish washing the dishes. Did you ask daddy? Maybe he wants to play." I dried off my hands and placed them on his back and on the top of her head.

I looked over at my daughter, who was silent, letting her brother do most of the negotiating as she sucked on her pacifier and clung to my leg.

"He's busy working, and told us to ask you." I let out a sigh as I looked at the sink full of dishes, then back down to him.

"Ok, just give me a few minutes. Get your shoes on, and help your sister in the meantime, ok?" I said as I ruffled his curls and leaned over to pat her back.

He let go of my leg with a toothy grin and went to my other leg to pull his sister off of me so they could get ready to go outside.

"Come on, Audrey." He said as he pulled her hands with a sense of urgency. He ran to the mudroom, and Audrey followed close behind, waddling as she tried to keep up.

I smiled just thinking about their bond. She was always a few steps behind her big brother, following his lead without question.

I snapped out of it, pushing myself away from the sink and over to the other side of the counter. I grabbed a mug that was barely in-reach and set it under the keurig. I set a little tea pod in the machine, and let it do the rest.

As my tea was being made, I headed towards the stairs.

I held onto the handrail as I carefully made my way up the stairs. My left hand was tucked right under my baby bump as my right was pulling me up by the rail.

I reached the top of the stairs and began to make my way to my bedroom, and passed the office on my way.

"Gabby? Is that you?" I heard his voice come from the cracked door.

"Yes." I responded as I stopped in my tracks.

"Come here for a second. I've hardly gotten to see you today." He said.

I backtracked and walked to the office. I pushed the door open to be met with Hayes who had his phone in one hand and a black pen in the other. He wore a stealers pullover that went perfectly with the black mug on his desk

He smiled as I appeared in the doorway, and his eyes went from mine to my stomach.

"Come here," He motioned towards himself with a cheeky smile on his face.

I walked over to the other side of his desk, so I was next to him and he pulled me into his lap so I was sitting on one of his legs.

"How's your day been so far?" He asked as he wrapped his hands around my pregnant belly.

"It's been fine," I nodded my head. There was a slight pause in the conversation as his fingers caressed my belly and as I looked around his office.