TWENTY-EIGHT

I sat at the small, round table outside of Lia and I's favorite cafe As I waited for her to come back from ordering us coffee.

My head was pounding as I've felt kind of unwell for the past couple of days.

Even though it's Wednesday and I should be at work, I decided to take a day off to just focus on myself and my mental health since I truly think that's why I've felt so sick.

"An iced tea for you," Lia set my drink down in front of me "And a Nice cup of water and two doughnuts for me." She smiled as she sat down in front of her small plate and drink.

"If I knew you were going to be carrying so much, I would have helped you." I playfully rolled my eyes at her.

"It was an impulsive decision," she shrugged.

"But what's been on your mind?" She asked me "I can tell something's up but you won't tell me." She frowned.

"I don't know, it's this whole case with this woman named Stacy Neil. She came to me for help about an abusive ex-husband, we started to build a case with solid evidence, and all of a sudden she decided to 'go on a vacation,' but it's long past when I would have heard back from her. I've emailed, called, texted, but she's not responding." I said as I played with the condensation on the outside of my cup.

"She's probably fine, Gabby," she assured me "I bet she's confiding in someone more personal to her life who isn't her attorney."

I realized that she was right, and that it was unprofessional of me to blow up her phone the way I have been. 

"Fuck," I leaned forward and put my face in my palms "you're right. She probably thinks I'm so unprofessional." I shook my head.

"She probably thinks it's nice that someones looking out for her, but I'd give her time." She gave me a weak smile.

"But how about you and Jack?" She took a sip of her water "how are you guys?" She say back in her chair.

"We're fine. He's been acting weird lately though." I started to take the paper straw out of its paper wrapper.

"How so?" She asked while taking another sip 

"Well, a couple days after he got back from his business trip, he was sick as a dog and ever since, I just feel like I catch him in a sad mood. Or.. not even sad, just.. disconnected. Like his mind is somewhere else." I explained.

"Have you talked to him about it?" She asked.

"I've tried. He's never been one to really express his emotions but I'm worried." I mixed my tea with my straw then took a sip.

"Well, anything else?" She asked.

"We need to move." I muttered while still looking down at my drink.

"You.. what?" She sounded sad.

"It's the whole Hayes situation, Lia. I can't do it again." I shook my head.

"So you're just going to move like that?" She asked.

"I don't want to move but he knows where we live. He sends me mail every day now and has for the past month or two... he thinks after he gets out, I'm getting up and leaving Jack for him," I looked up at her and she looked devastated.

"He's adamant about not moving, and that's been the topic surrounding our disagreements lately, but he's just not listening to me. I don't think he understands how far Hayes will go to get what he wants."

"Well.. where would you go?" She asked, quietly."

"For now, we decided to stay at his parents' house in Omaha while Hayes gets out. But as for after that.. I don't know. Knowing him, we're probably not going anywhere," I sighed "But anyways, how have you and Johnson been?" I asked her, changing the subject.